New build 70 gallon cadlights

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo sublime thanks for the advice i might just wait two more months

Update on my 70 gallon! I added 4 blue green chromis been there about a week. About 2 days my diatom algae bloom has started. Any advice from experience reefers?

Well, that was certainly short lived!

So I'm about a month in my diatom seems to be disappearing slowly , started to notice some small hair algae some on the glass and lots on the rock. But it's short not long algae any suggestions? I already placed a CUC have 4 damsels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please help I had my diatom bloom last week and then this hair algae showed up any suggestions? I tried to pull with my fingers but to hard they don't pull off from the rock

It's the natural progression of new tanks. New tanks generally have more algae issues than older established tanks. My suggestion is to wait it out and let your tank fall into an equilibrium. 

However, if you would like to know more-

It all comes down to Nitrates and Phosphate, NO3 and PO4 respectively, test for these and try and reduce them to 0. If your system says NO3 and PO4 is 0 and you notice your hair algae is still getting worse than you can infer what is likely happening if the Algae is consuming the NO3 and PO4 as it is being made in your system. It doesn't mean that you don't have them

Some reasons you might be experiencing Algae blooms is:

• Inadequate flow to keep detritus in suspension
  • Inadequate flow to move detritus through the system to the skimmer
  • Failure to blow detritus off rocks and properly remove from sand bed
  • Lack of consistent skimming
  • ​Overfeeding of fish
  • ​Overpopulated tank

This is my opinion on how to fight an algae bloom, any many will likely have opposing opinions. Don't try and fight the algae growing, rather fight the root issue causing the algae to grow. Identify what is causing your Nitrates to be high and take steps to reduce and mitigate that effect on your tank. This may be reduce feeding, adding filtration, or improving current filtration.

I aggressively skim my tank, I use a skimmer rated for a tank that is 3x as large as my current tank, then I use Carbon and GFO to reduce whats left. 

You could add a couple turbo snails. They would help put a dent in it as well.

Do not over feed your fish. Even Though they look at you like they have never eaten... A little food goes a long way! I try and feed every other day just to cut back on added nutrients

You could add a couple turbo snails. They would help put a dent in it as well.

Do not over feed your fish. Even Though they look at you like they have never eaten... A little food goes a long way! I try and feed 

A little food does go a long way but I think it's far better to do smaller quantities more often. Because it's a close system, all the inhabitants are getting a chance to eat so what was once an opportunistic feeder now has the chance to eat regularly while the grazers are eating at more "normal" intervals. This can certainly be a pain if you dont have an auto feeder but just about all of us can do it twice a day if not three times. It becomes a sustained load that is easier to work with than a fluctuating load (bio). 

Thanks guys for the advice this algae is really thin and I tried plucking some out but it's nearly impossible it's like if it was super glued on the rock ! I have snails there I just don't know what to do!

• ​Overpopulated tank

HappyFeet gave you some awesome informatoin there. One, your tank is brand new, it's like a newborn baby kinda new. By my count, you've already got 8 fish in there, and you're feeding heavy (the feeding part is speculation.)

You're going to have some algae, this is probably just the start. Stop putting fish in your tank. Don't feed so much, let your biological filter catch up with your load. This is just New Tanks Snyndrom (NTS) IMO.

I am running carbon on a reactor. Tank has been running a little over a month, should I start running GFO or bio pellets? I have a bio pellet reactor from cadlights they gave me a free bag of bio pellets but I think it also can take GFO. Any suggestions as I am still having algea issues and my phosphates are at .04 ppm on the hanna checker.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Hows the tank doing Eddie?

John ,

The tank is doing good! I had a small algae problem, but got it under control!! I have 2 clowns 4 small chromis and CUC everything is going well. The only thing is I can't get the skimmer to skim correctly. Over nights it over fills with water.. but keep going.. How is your tank going? 

Is the water level in your sump consistant or does it fluctuate where your skimmer is? Have you tried a vinager bath with your skimmer?

Everythings good with my tanks. I wish i could take decent pictures, id keep my build thread more up to date. Im probably going to end up selling the frag tank downstairs. I dont have time for it between work and Gavin