New build 70 gallon cadlights

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool set up!  Definitely following this!  

It looks like you're using the Real Reef rock which I'm guessing you got dry, is that right?  

If it were me, I would buy a couple small pieces of live rock and tuck them into your aquascape somewhere.  This will help introduce pods, hopefully small brittle stars, stomella snails, bristle worms, and other beneficial bacteria and animals from the ocean.  I understand some people don't like to do that because they don't want any of that stuff in their aquarium, in which case something like Dr. Tims, cycle, etc are all helpful.  When starting with any large amount of dry rock though, it's extremely important to take your time!  What kind of timeline are you looking at/planning on?

Cool set up! Definitely following this!

It looks like you're using the Real Reef rock which I'm guessing you got dry, is that right?

If it were me, I would buy a couple small pieces of live rock and tuck them into your aquascape somewhere. This will help introduce pods, hopefully small brittle stars, stomella snails, bristle worms, and other beneficial bacteria and animals from the ocean. I understand some people don't like to do that because they don't want any of that stuff in their aquarium, in which case something like Dr. Tims, cycle, etc are all helpful. When starting with any large amount of dry rock though, it's extremely important to take your time! What kind of timeline are you looking at/planning on?

Rise ,

I purchased the rock from a WAmAS member he brought it to me with a piece of live rock and he also mentioned he used dr tims I had the rock with saltwater , heater and pump for about 2 weeks I than got my tank and placed the rock and added the water. I def want to take my time but haven't ran water through the sump waiting for someone to assist to make sure I have everything plumed correctly as this is my first sump ever. I have been running my tank about a week and haven't tested yet ! Any suggestions? Wondering if I should just proceed with running the sump . I wanted to add a filter sock on the sump but don't know how to incorporate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your rock was probably starting to cycle while you waited in your tank. You usually want to see nitrites, ammonia, nitrates (with no ammonia or nitrites) and then you want to lower the nitrates. Remember the adage we hold close here: "Nothing good happens fast."

If you can remain patient, let your tank run for as long as possible (90 days, can you do it?!) and let it figure itself out.

Yhsublime yes I can hold of for 90 days I have some rubble wondering if I can throw them in the sump now if u recommend I want to de a refuigium they are dry rubble

Yep, they will become live with your other rock! Get all the rock and rubble wet and going!

Yep, they will become live with your other rock! Get all the rock and rubble wet and going!

ok thanks I will throw them in today

Is it wireless or hard wired to your network ? Check under network for the IP address DHCP or Static.

No luck I got home late from work tonight I'll try to see if I can mess with it tomorrow morning or tomorrow night I really don't know what I'm doing :(

Oracle Reefer,

Sent you a PM.. I would like some more images of that tank you posted. Looks incredible!! Please and thank you!

Richie

Edited by Scubaguy

Any suggestions ? 2 weeks since tank build used some live rock and live sand from an established reef tank . Yesterday my amonia and nitrites were low but my nitrates are around 20 ppm I think my cycle is close to finishing should I do a water change ? Any feedback would be great

Any suggestions ? 2 weeks since tank build used some live rock and live sand from an established reef tank . Yesterday my amonia and nitrites were low but my nitrates are around 20 ppm I think my cycle is close to finishing should I do a water change ? Any feedback would be great

Once you're ammonia is gone is when you want to consider a water change, but there are many ways to do it. 

Once your ammonia reads "0" do a water change to lower the nitrates. Slowly start stocking your tank, it will go through many phases, most of them ugly. 

Or just let it run for 90 days like we talked about earlier, if you can resist!

Yo sublime thanks for the advice i might just wait two more months

The concept is mentioned in Tony Vargas book, and pumped heavy by some of our hobbyists. The trouble is, it's really hard to do (at least for me!) Here is a link back to when it was suggested that I try it while setting up my 150. Tom took the time to type up the little synopsis, which was kind, as I had the book on my shelf. 

It is worth a read through from there for the next few pages, just to see recommendations as well as hints that members gave me while I waited during my cycle and period. I think I got 60 days in, maybe a little further. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my 70 gallon! I added 4 blue green chromis been there about a week. About 2 days my diatom algae bloom has started. Any advice from experience reefers?