Clown Fish Divorce?

YHSublime

My clowns have always been weird. I've seen them polish rocks before, but never seen eggs. They hosted a nem together immediately. I have had them for almost 3 years now. I've always had several anemones in my tank, and sometimes one would host another one, but they ultimately would end up back together again. In this new tank I've setup, one hosts the top right anemone, and one hosts about 3' away at the bottom middle. There is another nem behind the bottom middle that occasionally get's used, and then there is a rainbow up top that has not seen any action.

The clowns were put in at the same time, I don't understand why one swam off to the other one. Here is the kicker:

Every now and then, the clown from the bottom middle makes its way up to the top right and chills with the other clown, but then when I look again the next day, or a few hours later, it's back in it's middle bottom nem. It's obvious that they know about each other, but don't want to live together?

I have been watching your video monitor, that clown in the middle bottom has been flirting with Taco....... It is the dogs fault. :laugh:

I have been watching your video monitor, that clown in the middle bottom has been flirting with Taco....... It is the dogs fault. :laugh:

If you look closely at a clown fish, they have similar features.

I'm really perplexed by their behavior. Part of the reason I have clowns is I enjoy the duo hosting in an anemone. They are all over the board.

Mine do, or were doing, the same thing. I don't know if they have done it since they started mating. I only have 2 anemones.

Edited by Rob A

My clowns loved each other until my blenny died. I believe he was their marriage counselor. The new counselor/blenny does not seem to have a way with romance like the last one. My clowns seem to have a love/HATE relationship. When my RBTA was huge they still fought. Now with 2 rbta, they each sleep in different anemones (and still fight). The female is the aggressor, but isn't as fast so she has torn fins and bitten scales.

Long story short, clownfiah are crazy and you are not the only one with weirdos.

Edited by Squishie89

If they are in maryland they have to be separated a year before it's considered divorced so I think you may still be ok. Give em some time. Lots of change recently

My anemone split recently and the clone moved to the other side of the tank.  Now the 2 clowns take turns on who stays in which anemone.  But usually at night they wind up sleeping together, they just dont like looking at each other when the lights are on.  lol

My two clowns are separated for over a year now. So i get they are officially divorce. I will have to find a new boyfriend for the female clown now. Does any one want to swap tank husband clown or tank wife clown?

My clowns argue with each other incessantly. Nipping at each other and ramming into each other in a beligerent way. The larger one loves to bite my hand but only when I'm not looking at her. She waits till i look away then with the jaws.

Weird stories.

They are divorced, but still in love. Or as mentioned, just can't stand each other when the lights are on. Maybe my tank just got too big.

Weird stories.

They are divorced, but still in love. Or as mentioned, just can't stand each other when the lights are on. Maybe my tank just got too big.

Try adding a jealous lover clown.

My two clowns are separated for over a year now. So i get they are officially divorce. I will have to find a new boyfriend for the female clown now. Does any one want to swap tank husband clown or tank wife clown?

Are you proposing a new TV show? Clownfish Wife Swap?

Guess who was back together again? Seriously, they've been split up for 3 months, and now they just start hanging out again like no big deal....

Maybe Taco helped them with some therapy today.

Nope, he was busy, but I digress:

Adorbs_zpse8f4959a.jpg

Guess who was back together again? Seriously, they've been split up for 3 months, and now they just start hanging out again like no big deal....

Maybe they heard you were talking about them on the internet?

man i just had a clown shunned, i love onyx clowns and of course the onyx has become the shunned fish...to the point he was almost killed by the picasso i got from Fazio....fins are mostly gone and will have to let her recoup in the sump i guess then eventually get rid of since i dont have 3 systems anymore.....not sure what caused the bell to ring and start the fight but man....first time this has happened to me, had a trio for a very long time.

Been having some issues with my clowns since I added RBTAs. My hybrid maroon/ocellaris female has become a bit of a territorial ass and started pretty aggressively nipping at my mostly juvenile black ocellaris, who only wants in on the action. They hadn't ever fully paired, but they'd mosey around the tank together and hide in the same spot in the rocks when I'd do water changes or accidentally spook them. Now a few of his fins look pretty ragged, though he's still hovering right next to the anemone and sneaking into the smaller one (it split right before I purchased it) at night to sleep. That said, I saw the two of them chilling literally inches away from each other with zero issues yesterday. Clowns are weird.