Algae?

ddouglass

It has been in the tank for a few months and I'm having a hard time getting ride of it. It's killing my Zoe's. Any suggestions? I also have no idea if it is algae, I'm hoping it's not colonial hydroids.post-2635430-142077606729_thumb.jpgpost-2635430-14207760796_thumb.jpg

It's hydroids I had them. Take the rock out and frag off the zoas. Or I got rid of my small patch of them by manually pulling them off. The unreachable ones in the crevice I killed with kalk paste or super glue. They both work well.

They are not 100% effective. The issue is when the hydroids are gone what else will it need to eat to survive. Will it starve in your tank?

I would manually try to remove them. Most can be pulled out in strings or runners. Then cover the remaining ones as detailed above.

I'd love to take a look at them under the microscope and post some photos on algaeid.com but you are kind of far from me. I'm not saying its algae, but it would be nest to add pests that look similar.

Any chance you could make it up to College Park with that rock, or maybe hand it off to someone would gets up there or to the Frederick region?

Edited by Pants

I could try and take pictures. I have a microscope. I'm do want to try and remove them before taking out the rock completely.

Coral Hind I do agree, I would never place an animal in my care and not look at the long term care. I do need to order more clean up crew since my crabs have killed some snails. I do have some hair algae issues on that rock and the hare could help take it out. That being said I will take to heart what you have said and try manually removing them and not-rely on an animal that might not touch them in the long run.

So update on the colonial hydroids issue. I took the rock out and fragged as much as I could, but seeing as that was my first time fragging ever....I think I killed all my Zoa's >.< but I placed the infected rock in some water mixed with a little bleach. Letting it kill everything for the next 24 hours. Going to give it good scrub then place it some Dechlorinating water a few times, the. Let it dry, then place it back in the tank. If the colonial hydroids come back....then I guess I throw the rock out.

I'd love to take a look at them under the microscope and post some photos on algaeid.com but you are kind of far from me. I'm not saying its algae, but it would be nest to add pests that look similar.

Any chance you could make it up to College Park with that rock, or maybe hand it off to someone would gets up there or to the Frederick region?

If you want hydroids, feel free to come over and tell me which ones you want.

That's a frag job I wouldn't want to do with how close the hydroids were to the zoas. A tiny hacksaw is another way to frag people forget about