AI Sol module keeps turning on and off

Enkay

Hello All,

I have two AI Sol Led modules on my 120. I found today morning that one module keeps turning on and off. The other one is fine. I tried disconnecting and then connecting again, both the data cable and the power cable. But it just seems to turn on and off in a 1 second frequency. Anyone else seen this ?

Any advise as to what might be going wrong ? How do I correct it?

Thanks!

Thank you MBVette. Will look into replacing the fan. As of now, magically the leds are working fine again. Maybe the fan has too much dirt in it or something.

You can try cleaning it, I have not had luck doing it.  (replaced 4-5 fans over 2 or 3 years of having the vegas)  I just ordered 4 more fans the other day just so I have them.  So if you talk to them and need a fan I have one you can buy from me for whatever the cost was; assuming the vegas and sol use the same fan

Mine also did that and when I investigated, the fan was not working. Opened up the fan, cleaning it ( it was gross with dust) and it's been ok ever since. 

Make sure your fan is running and give it a good cleaning. 

Rob, do you think there is connection between the fans going out and the emitters? 

I am figuring that the lights start blinking because of some sort of temperature sensor because the fan isn't running. If the fan wasn't running for a while, and the emitters were running hot could that be the reason they are not working anymore?

The fans on these are cheep. Been running 4 gen one units since they came out and can tell you to always keep a set on hand. Salt has corroded a few sets on me over time due the thin or lack of insolation where wire connects to motor of fan. To fix this I use a very small amount of silicone at that joint. Don't get any on the blades or could cause out of balance and/or prevent fan from turning. I like that these things are modular as you can replace all parts easily. I have rebuilt my original sol units to the sol blue but one could update them to the 52s if they were willing to spend another $299 per unit....sorry off on tangent.

Yes the issue is most likely one or more fan. The units try to shut themselves down if they get too hot as to protect from further damage. Nice feature but annoying. Also I removed the fan cover grate on mine as I had noticed sometimes the fans get stuck due to warpage of that part causing over heating.

Edited by kngfisher

heat is number one cause of burnt emitters. fan dies, heat builds up and fries circuitry.

virtually all of the EcoXotic non-fan cooled lights that they've ever sold have failed due to excessive heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I ordered a new fan and I replaced it. The new fan still doesn't run. The leds keep doing the same thing. On and off.

What could be wrong? I am not an electronic person so am a bit afraid to poke around without knowing.

Any suggestions? ideas? What and where should I look?

Thanks!

Agree with the above on the fan issue- very much the "weak link" and the hotter the lights are the faster parts start to burn out.  

However in your case, take a look at the power supply box.  It should have a small green light on it.  The light should be on continuously.  If the light is out or (more likely) flickering, you will need to replace the power supply.  Over the last few months we have had to replace many of the power supplies on the older AIs.  Not sure why they go bad, but they do.  The lights typically do exactly what you describe- on for 30 sec, off for 30 sec, on, off, on, off.......  If you need a new power supply right away, we have some in stock.  Good luck!

Edited by Reef eScape