New Year's Resolution: Support your LFS. Give 'em a chance.

Origami

First of all, Happy New Year! As host to MACNA 2015, this year will be a busy one for WAMAS. 

As we move into the new year, I wanted to take a second to share a few thoughts about supporting your Local Fish Stores (LFS) and our sponsors. With a lot of sources just a click away, it's easier than ever to send our reefing dollars out of our communities and into the hands of businesses hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

Why should I consider buying local? How do I benefit? Consider this:

• Buying local benefits your community, of which you are a member and from which you receive benefits.
  • Buying local ensures that you have a local source to rely upon in the event of an emergency.
  • Buying local gives you access to front-line products, and professional knowledge and opinions.
  • Buying local helps support the hobby and local hobbyists (many of whom rely heavily on their LFS when they first start out in the hobby).

Buying local benefits your community and your neighbors:

Sure, there are great prices to be found on the internet, but did you ever think about how your local businesses, including your LFS, fit into your life? Into your community? Into this hobby? Should we, as a community, be thinking more broadly about our role as a member of our local community than just the narrow consideration given to the dollar in our wallet?

Buying local is like casting a stone into the pond that is your local economy. The ripples that result are larger and felt more directly when you throw the stone into water that is closer to you than those cast far away - e.g. sending your dollar across the country or across the ocean.

A dollar spent in our local economy, for the most part, stays here. It's an investment in your community, in your neighbor, and even yourself. Sure, a piece of your purchase goes to the manufacturer and to the wholesale distribution chain, but part of the markup goes to wages that pay for jobs. Another part goes to taxes that pay for services that you and I enjoy (police, fire, roads, publich health, etc.). And yet another part goes to the business and the business owner who, taking a chance, hung up a shingle to bring you a service and to keep his/her family fed. 

And, those dollars that stay local get spent yet again and again, by all those local wage earners that benefit from this avalanche effect. And all that adds up, ultimately benefitting each and every one of us as well when our community grows and thrives from our local interest, perspective and investment. 

Buying local helps ensure your security in times of emergency:

WAMAS is a generous community and a great resource. In times of need, our members often come through with advice, encouragement and even loaner equipment or manpower to help see you through the crisis. You also see this kind of support from our LFS community as well. How many times in our pages have you read about somebody needing a hard-to-find plumbing part to replace a failed one that's leaking? Or needing a main pump replaced because theirs just failed and waiting two or three days threatens the tank that they have tens of thousands of dollars invested in? How many times have you read about a local vendor keeping their doors open a little longer while you travel in? Or delivering a part right into your hands when you need it most?

When you buy local - you're investing in keeping that resource close by and keeping their doors open and available to you. When you don't, you're either letting others shoulder that burden for you, or are gambling that you won't need their support after their doors close.

Buying local gives you access to professional opinion, great support, and new products:

Sure, sometimes it's hit or miss when it comes to getting knowledgeable support from some establishments with high turnover and low wages, but I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about those places and those business owners that have real skin in the game. Those that have years in the business and work to earn your trust and support over the long haul. Not just to make a one-time sale.

Buying local helps the hobby and local hobbyists. It also helps WAMAS:

At the outset, many, many hobbyists start their adventure in this hobby with a trip to their LFS where they are intrigued and invigorated by the idea of setting up their first marine aquarium, but are challenged or intimidated by the apparent complexity of, wide choices in, and high cost of equipment, livestock, and supplies. A good LFS appreciates the long-term value of a customer's trust, loyalty and repeat business. Because of this, a good LFS is invested in your success almost as much as you are. The higher the success rate of new hobbyists, the longer time they'll spend in the hobby. And, hopefully, with more time comes more knowledge that they can give to others to help them along, too, in places like WAMAS.

Conclusion:

So, as we look forward to the new year; as the shininess of our new Christmas toys is dulled and we begin to look at others; maybe each of us can give a few moments of thought and thankfulness, and maybe resolve a little more support for our LFS's in the year and years ahead than maybe we've given them in the past. We're blessed in our area to have great local sponsors - some of which have been with us for a very, very long time. Show them your support by visiting them a few more times this year than last. In the long run, we all benefit from keeping that kind of resolution.

"Buying local gives you access to professional opinion, great support, and new products:

Sure, sometimes it's hit or miss when it comes to getting knowledgeable support from some establishments with high turnover and low wages, but I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about those places and those business owners that have real skin in the game. Those that have years in the business and work to earn your trust and support over the long haul. Not just to make a one-time sale."

Which I've used on many a occasion!!!!!! Has not only saved my tank but has also saved me lots and lots of $$$$$$ in the long run.