Clams in stock

johnnybv

Do wamas members get a 10% discount? I have bought a few things but never thought to ask for a discount

Do wamas members get a 10% discount? I have bought a few things but never thought to ask for a discount

55208[/snapback]

I have been asked this question time and time again, and the answer has remained the same. I could do what many other shops do and raise prices then offer a WAMAS discount, or I can just offer the best prices I can from the start and not play any games. I choose that later of the two, by providing the best price I can offer all the time. I will ocasionally run additional discounts if I have an overstock of an item or if I am getting a special price from my distributor. For example last month I was offering an additional 10% off URI bulbs, my price was already lower that most internet prices and I offered another 10% off! I belive in offering healthy livestock and quality goods at reasonable prices. When I say reasonable prices that goes both ways. A competitive price within the market, and enough markup to keep my business running. You have heard many times that my prices rival some of the internet pricing, that is basically unheard of from a brick and mortar retail store. My main client base right now is WAMAS, so it is very important for me to be competitive. If another LFS has something priced lower with your discount, and the livestock is healthy and is not a brown coral go for it! Hope that clears the discount question up.

John

Johnny, did you ever get any traction on URI Metal Halide bulbs? I know you said last month about a discount on first order for people and I am nearly in the market for a pair of new bulbs. Just want to know what that is looking like and if you'll be ordering to stock in the near future.

Johnny, did you ever get any traction on URI Metal Halide bulbs?  I know you said last month about a discount on first order for people and I am nearly in the market for a pair of new bulbs.  Just want to know what that is looking like and if you'll be ordering to stock in the near future.

55226[/snapback]

Prices were higher then I expected, they would end up costing just about the same as Ushio bulbs unless I ordered in case lots of 12. There was ZERO response to my offer, therefore I did not bring any in for stock. Tell me what you are looking for and I'll get you a price and we can go from there.

John

I had the pleasure of buying some lights, a 6line wrasse, a banded shrimp, and 2 frags from johnny this weekend and all i have to say is this:

Better prices than everywhere else (LFSs) I looked, even online, sometimes

Better quality of the livestock, every fish and invert looked alive and kicking in his fish room. They all acclimated well and are doing great.

You don't NEED a WAMAS discount at BRK. It's already the best price out there. :)

I had the pleasure of buying some lights, a 6line wrasse, a banded shrimp, and 2 frags from johnny this weekend and all i have to say is this:

Better prices than everywhere else (LFSs) I looked, even online, sometimes

Better quality of the livestock, every fish and invert looked alive and kicking in his fish room.  They all acclimated well and are doing great.

You don't NEED a WAMAS discount at BRK.  It's already the best price out there.  :)

55254[/snapback]

thanks charlie, glad everthing acclimated well. Your lights are on their way.

John

Guest alex wlazlak
(edited)

do you think that you can put in a list of all the corals you have and pictures like the clams? thatd be awsome... can you post some pics of the setups you have at the store? also, i dont wanna waste and kill anything, but can you keep clams (the $30 ones) in a 55 with high nitrates and 4 65w PC's?

Edited by alex wlazlak

do you think that you can put in a list of all the corals you have and pictures like the clams? thatd be awsome... can you post some pics of the setups you have at the store? also, i dont wanna waste and kill anything, but can you keep clams (the $30 ones) in a 55 with high nitrates and 4 65w PC's?

55397[/snapback]

There is no way I could keep up with corals or fish on the website. In the future when I get some rare or very colorful high $$ corals I could get them up. As far as clams, they will consume the high nitrate, but I have them under t-5's I dont know how well they would do under PC's.

John

not to well. clams need intense lighting to thrive.. at least that is what I have read everywhere unless someone has found a cure I mean a different aproach.. but to my understanding a bright light is required, therefore PC might not cut it/

There is certainly no hard and fast rule for that. On http://www.melevsreef.com he kept a clam apparently very well in a 29 gallon with PCs only. I also think that Dave Lin is keeping a clam in his 55 under only PCs and it's a very nice. I think it may even be the same kind of 4x65 fixture, Alex. Send him a PM and see what he knows about clams under PC. So you can do it but it will really be a case by case basis. Clams will generally find their own place in the tank anyway, where they are comfortable with the lighting and where they will hopefully thrive.

Guest alex wlazlak

cool, i was reading jakes post, and then saw yours up a second later and was about to ask, could you keep them on the rocks or do they need to be on the bottom? ill pm dave then. thanks.

Well, that's really more up to the clam than you. :P Dave Lin's is up on a rock, think that is where he put him at to begin with. Melev said that he put his up onto a rock and it chose to move itself down to the sandbed. But I'd bet if you gave it a good place to anchor itself on a rock you'd stand a chance of it staying there.

http://www.easyreefer.com/clams.php

check this web site. It talks about lighting requirements and keeping clams. It might help with the discussion on MH or PC lighting for Clams.

extract:

Keeping giant clams healthy and growing in a reef aquarium requires a similar system of care to that of SPS corals. Bright lighting such as that provided by metal halide aquarium lights is an absolute necessity, in that most clams generate energy by photosynthesis as well as by filter feeding. Moderate to high water flow will ensure that clams receive an ample supply of water to continually feed on. High levels of calcium provided by calcium reactors will help clams to develop thick and healthy shells and to grow rapidly.

Alex e-mailed me to ask about the clam, so I figured I'd share what I shared with him here. I'm by no means an expert, but I do have some experience with clams. Here are my opinions backed up by my own experiences.

Oh, by the way, I got my derasa from Johnny and I do think it was a great deal. I liked most of the clams he had before at the social, as well, and he's got good systems to keep them in. If you're going to buy one, I would take a look at Johnny's stock to see if there's one that catches your eye, then see if it's the right one for you.

Hi Alex,

I have a tridacna maxima (maxima clam) in a 58 with dual 96W PCs.

Take a look at the picture of the squamosa on Johnny's site. It's a great example of how the mouth should look. Also, the croceas and the maximas seem to have good mantle extension. The derasa also looks good. The gigas doesn't look good to me, but that's just because I've never really been a gigas fan! It does look to be healthy, though, and at that price, I might be visiting Johnny to pick one up and change my mind about gigas clams!

I might be visiting Johnny to pick one up and change my mind about gigas clams!

So I gather there'll be an "eating party" when it fills the tank? :lol:

I bought one Clam from BRK during the Social and it is doing great in my tank, it loves the MH lights by the way, and is always open, almost up to minutes after dust. It is my first clam so I was going to experiment with easy one, so I selected a derasa, and can not be happier that I did. It even survived the Flat Worm Exit experience when two of my tangs did not.

If I had the $$$ I will get another one, but first I need to fix the pump. :D

So I gather there'll be an "eating party" when it fills the tank? :lol:

55549[/snapback]

That does raise an interesting question. Aside from the ethics of eating one's pet, would there be any health issues with eating a clam that lived in a reef tank? :huh:

aside from ethics. There shouldn't be any health problems. We eat oysters, and you know what they are made off, and we all keep our tanks healthy so why there should be a concern on unhealthy clams from your tank? unless you are introducing something else rather than food...

;) like Bond,....."steroids" :o

Guest mikesroth

It could be possible that this species is not healthy for humans.

:huh2: Have no idea, just joking. But...if one were to go that route I'd agree with Jake. Clams are filter feeders, they are as clean as the water in which they live. Also, crabs? They eat what again? :D Reminds me of last summer, just barely squeeked by @ the Cape - the red tide ban was lifted a mere week or so before we went......could have been the Cape & no steamahs - tragic.

It could be possible that this species is not healthy for humans

Doubtful given the thousands, if not millions of shells littering the bays/lagoons/coves all across the Pacific (any Survivor fans will recall them eating a few on the show - not sure exactly what species but they were at least Dersa sized)