DSLR's on Black Friday

Ryan S

Just get a base canon rebel body and something like the canon 24-105 f4l lens

Don't bother with any of the kit lenses

That lens is $1,149!  A little too expensive for recreational photography!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other very good a cheap lenses :

Canon 50mm 1.8

Canon 40mm 2.8

Everyone with a cannon should own the 50mm "nifty fifty" 1.8 in their life. Only like $120 and takes excellent pics

$120 for the 50mm, now we're talking.  This would be for "regular" photos, correct?  What would be a good macro lens?  Would it be higher mm, like 200m or 300mm?

My D5200 kit from Focus on Amazon was under $1,000 for the whole thing. camera, 2 lens (described above), a bunch of stuff, camera bag, tripod, etc.

$120 for the 50mm, now we're talking.  This would be for "regular" photos, correct?  What would be a good macro lens?  Would it be higher mm, like 200m or 300mm?

Try the stock lens first, Ryan, and decide if it's adequate for you. Given the size of the CCD sensor in the camera, a 50mm lens may perform more like a 135 mm lens in the old 35mm film days. That is to say, a stock 18-55 should be good to cover your everyday needs to include basic portraits. Also, having a zoom on versus a fixed focal length gives you the ability to quickly zoom in and out on your subject to make the shot that you want. Kids don't sit still while you fiddle, so you want something quick.

That lens is $1,149!  A little too expensive for recreational photography!

They are used for $600 in perfect condition. The higher end cameras come with them as their kit lens, and a lot of people sell them as they upgrade to prime lenses

Try the stock lens first, Ryan, and decide if it's adequate for you. Given the size of the CCD sensor in the camera, a 50mm lens may perform more like a 135 mm lens in the old 35mm film days. That is to say, a stock 18-55 should be good to cover your everyday needs to include basic portraits. Also, having a zoom on versus a fixed focal length gives you the ability to quickly zoom in and out on your subject to make the shot that you want. Kids don't sit still while you fiddle, so you want something quick.

A 50mm on a standard aps-c is equal to about a 75mm.

Sure you can zoom, but primes offer the best depth of field and image quality. And a prime will be quicker on focusing.

The Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a pretty good everyday zoom lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

Edited by brad908

50mm primes for Nikon are not auto focus for all bodies (could be any body but not sure). My 50mm prime is not auto for my old D80 or my current D5200. Again, research between Nikon and Canon. There are subtle differences.

Other very good a cheap lenses :

Canon 50mm 1.8

Canon 40mm 2.8

Everyone with a cannon should own the 50mm "nifty fifty" 1.8 in their life. Only like $120 and takes excellent pics

Good friend of mine has the Canon 40mm 2.8 pancake and swears by it. So tiny. Currently has a $50 rebate on Amazon (and probably others due to MAP guidelines) 

What would be a good macro lens?  Would it be higher mm, like 200m or 300mm?

I don't own a macro lens yet but these are articles I'd consult

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/best-macro-lenses.htm -- notice he rules out a lot 

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-first-nikon-lenses-you-should-buy/

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-first-canon-lenses-you-should-buy/

Don't forget you can always buy used, there's a healthy market for used lenses.

A lot of talk about lenses, which is appreciated, but what about the camera bodies on sale?

Canon Rebel T5, Nikon D3200, or Canon Rebel T5i?

Any clear winner here, or look at some of the other camera bodies mentioned in this thread instead? (D3300, 5200, etc.)

I like canon glass, so I would go with a canon body.

KEH and B&H have good used sections. I don't think there are noticeable differences between a canon t2i and a t5i.

Also check out http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ selling section, if you decide on canon.

Edited by brad908

I have a Nikon D3200 with 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm lenses. This is my second Nikon...earlier I used to have Nikon D40x. I guess it depends...personally I like Nikon both indoors and outdoors...but for some reason Canon DSLR Rebel series (my sister has it) doesn't do a good job for indoor photography. 

A lot of talk about lenses, which is appreciated, but what about the camera bodies on sale?

Canon Rebel T5, Nikon D3200, or Canon Rebel T5i?

Any clear winner here, or look at some of the other camera bodies mentioned in this thread instead? (D3300, 5200, etc.)

Bc lenses are more important in the long run. The body is the gateway drug into the world of lenses, which is rather locked down. As Brad mentioned before, there are adapters but those are not ideal.

If you're on a budget, should you spend more money on the lens or on the camera?

Should you get a better camera body today and wait for a better lens later, or should you get the lens you want today and wait for a better body?

Easy and timeless answer: always put your money into your lenses. This is because lenses have far more to do with picture quality and ease of use, and because lenses retain their monetary and photographic value indefinitely while camera bodies become worth little in a few years.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lens-or-camera.htm

I love my D3300, Ken Rockwell recommends it also. Last time I checked, the entry level Canon lagged a little bit behind the entry level Nikon, but both brands are really good and you'll find professionals using both. If you have good friends/family who have bought into one system, I'd go with that one so you can borrow their lenses and equipment.

Either way I'd stick to one of the entry level (~$500) models:

The reason guys like me pay more for fancier cameras isn't for better pictures; it's for more controls and options that let us few who actually know how to use all these controls to get to them faster. The D3300 has the same adjustments, just that you'll more often have to use a menu to set them instead of a knob or button. If you shoot all day every day as I do, it's worth it, otherwise, there's no reason to pay more since most people have no idea what these other settings do.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Heres what Wirecutter had to say about the two Canons you mentioned, this was written a while ago, so prices have come down:

The Canon T5i is more of a direct comparison model to the D3300 in size and price. It has an MSRP of $850, but will generally set you back $700, slightly above the $650 that Nikon asks for the D3300. It shares the same crummy image sensor as the SL1, which the D3300 handily beats, as well as the fewer shots per battery charge. But it does have a hinged touchscreen and more cross type AF points. But once the D3300 starts to drop below MSRP, it’ll get even cheaper, and the Nikon really does take substantially better photos.

The Canon T5 is just dreadful. Canon has taken the same mediocre image sensor its been using since 2011’s T3i or thereabouts, slapped it into a case with a processor that’s a couple of years old, a super low-res 460,000 dot LCD display, a mediocre AF system, a max burst rate of 3 fps, and a top ISO of 6400. Yeah, the MSRP of $550 is low, but that’s the same street price as the Canon SL1, which is a much better Canon camera, and definitely not worth the $100 savings over the D3300. But you know what? We bet this thing is going to be in every Black Friday sale this year, and will probably move like gangbusters. If you really want, you can still pick up a Canon T3i for a song if you look around, and it’s actually got better specs than the T5 thanks to a higher-res screen and faster burst. If you want a cheap Canon SLR with years old systems, just buy that and save your money.

Wirecutter on d3200 vs d3300: 

While the Nikon D3300 has a new sensor from the D3200, there’s been almost no discernable improvement in image quality between the two—which isn’t a big deal, since they’re both still better than the competition.

tldr i'm an amateur who did lots of research before buying my camera, feel free to take it or leave it, lots of v good opinions in this thread :)

oh i almost forgot, these sites helped me find the best deal

http://www.nikonpricewatch.com/

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/

Canon and Nikon both have Minimum Advertised Price rules for their resellers, so they'll be a lot of confusing deals that include free extras and rebates but overall prices on new gear will be pretty competitive

No no call me Andrew. MrSexy was my father.

Andrew I am your Father . Had to get that in !!!!! Stuck in a meeting at work .  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Andrew I am your Father . Had to get that in !!!!! Stuck in a meeting at work .  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

OK Darth....

Okay, I'm leaning towards the Nikon D3300 w/ VR lens, linked here, for $499.

The D3300 VR lens is much better than the 2 included non-VR lenses, in the Nikon D3200 package here, for the same price, correct?

Edited by Ryan S

A side question on lenses, as my head is about to explode from all of the reading I am doing!

If I get the Nikon D3300, I will obviously first experiement with the included AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Zoom Lens.

But if I wanted to buy another lens, as my first addition to the camera, to take coral macro shots (like many of our members post regularly that look amazing).  Would I want to consider one like this, or like this first? Or another one? Or could the stock VR II Lens achieve those if used correctly?

Between those two, you would want the 85mm macro.

I don't know much about Nikon, so I will bow out here.

Happy shooting!

For those of you also considering the Nikon D3300, I think I've found the best deal for black friday.  It's at Costco.

For $599 you get the Nikon D3300, 2 VR lenses, a bag, 16gb memory card, and wi-fi adapter:

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3300-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100107159.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=855387&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=