advice regarding heaters

Rosco's Reefs

I need to purchase several heaters for a new tank build and wanted some advice.  I saw the Hydor Theo Aquarium Heater 400 watts on BRS and wondered if anyone had experience with them. Thanks in advance.

I've never used that heater brand - only the Ehiem Jagers. That being said, I'd think about getting a slightly smaller heater and getting two of them rather than one large one.

I've got two 300 watt heaters on my system. I'd estimate I have somewhere between 280 and 300 gallons of system volume. (200 gallon tank, 45 gallon frag tank, 75 gallon sump)

Edited by CaptainRon

I just replace my heaters yearly. I've had broken Jagers, Hydors, Marinelands, and Fluvals. Only brand of heater I've had that never broke (not once among the five I've had over the years) are Rena Smart Heaters, but they don't make them any longer. I still have a 7 year old smaller one that I use with my hospital tank when I have to set it up from time to time. I have a Colbalt heater that I may run for more than a year to see how it lasts but I'll be replacing my second heater like I do every year.

Even now when I have a controller and a ground in my tank to help prevent the worst of disasters I still try and replace them yearly. They're the most likely  piece of equipment to fail in my opinion and one that can do a fair bit of damage when it fail.

I just replace my heaters yearly. I've had broken Jagers, Hydors, Marinelands, and Fluvals. Only brand of heater I've had that never broke (not once among the five I've had over the years) are Rena Smart Heaters, but they don't make them any longer. I still have a 7 year old smaller one that I use with my hospital tank when I have to set it up from time to time. I have a Colbalt heater that I may run for more than a year to see how it lasts but I'll be replacing my second heater like I do every year.

Even now when I have a controller and a ground in my tank to help prevent the worst of disasters I still try and replace them yearly. They're the most likely piece of equipment to fail in my opinion and one that can do a fair bit of damage when it fail.

This is really good advice.

I like the Cobalt heaters, seem to be accurate, don't take up a lot of space, and are not breakable. What I plan on doing is having 3 to 4 heaters for my tank. If they are all sized smaller there is less of a chance of having one of them boil the tank, or having the tank freeze.

One gets stuck on- the other three will stay off since they don't need to heat, but the one stuck on can't produce enough heat to boil the tank.

One dies and does not work- the other 3 will have to work harder to heat the tank, but you should be able to see something is going on and fix it before it gets too cold, and at that, it can only get so cold.

I've seen commercial sized Titanium heaters go bad and fail and dump current into the water. Doesn't matter what they're made of- glass/metal/plastic; they all can and do fail. 

A scheduled heater replacement program is prob safest solution.

thx everyone. I went with the eheims

My experience with them and what I've heard from others is they perform to about 1/2 of what they are advertised at. So if you think you need 1 300 watt, you will need 2.