Sel's 300 gallon total volume tank build

This guy is making us look like amateurs at the pace he's moving. Looking good so far.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@DCReefer, thanks for the gate valve offer. If the one I ordered comes in broken again, I will definitely take you up on that. @YHsublime, good old Velcro!!! Had to make three. Today I start on the DIY Radion Rail system. Have to keep busy as I want this thing filled next week. Has anyone heard of cleaning old crushed corral with Oxi clean? Saw this on a thread somewhere.

Ah. I've got a eurobrace similar to your acrylic openings in the top. I was going to silicone some L shaped pegs to level the screen with the glass, if that makes sense? Looks clean, don't see the Velcro. You spraypaint the outside?

I would not use oxi to clean your crushed coral, but that's just me!

This guy is making us look like amateurs at the pace he's moving. Looking good so far.

Come on Eric! I am way ahead of him, I have water in my tank!....of course I started in March.....but that is besides the point. :laugh:

(edited)

Lol! I started 10/22. The goal was to get this done in 3 weeks. A lot of DIY stuff involved. DIY Radion rail hanging kit,(will do that this weekend) DIY screen tops, polishing and buffing the acrylic, was a bear. Had to do it with 1000 grit, then 2000 grit, then with Novus acrylic system. Arm was hurting after all of that. Had to also disassemble and repaint the stand as well. Not to mention setting up a 72 gallon quarantine tank and aquarium equipment room. Doing the plumbing shouldn't be so bad. Still got to set up a few other things. Next week the water will be in. It was tough but I'm getting it done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by fellterrier

Lol! I started 10/22. The goal was to get this done in 3 weeks. A lot of DIY stuff involved. DIY Radion rail hanging kit,(will do that this weekend) DIY screen tops, polishing and buffing the acrylic, was a bear. Had to do it with 1000 grit, then 2000 grit, then with Novus acrylic system. Arm was hurting after all of that. Had to also disassemble and repaint the stand as well. Not to mention setting up a 72 gallon quarantine tank and aquarium equipment room. Doing the plumbing shouldn't be so bad. Still got to set up a few other things. Next week the water will be in. It was tough but I'm getting it done.

You are doing as awesome job, I am taking forever.

All 3 screen tops were completed this evening! The brown you see is felt stick on bumpers. With acrylic you can never have too much protection. Tomorrow I will start hanging lights!e3c8b8ee05a2b8baea8e7f85e8b8d93e.jpg4d1ce705db3fd7761ebc5024630b1e31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aqua box custom build!!

Is it wet yet?! Love me some aquabox!

Well I filled it up and my plumbing job was stellar! NO Leaks!! Unfortunately for me, My overflow box was leaking down into my lower cabinet. Had to drain the tank, ordered #16 Acrylic cement and tips off of Amazon. Stuff should arrive on Will Arrive by Friday. I will do the repair, and fill again on Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, I will work on hanging my Radions! Got to stay positive and busy!! Lets keep it moving!!!

Boooooo. Stay positive, get it done right, won't be motivated or possibly able to, after you've got et' filled.

Well I filled it up and my plumbing job was stellar! NO Leaks!! Unfortunately for me, My overflow box was leaking down into my lower cabinet. Had to drain the tank, ordered #16 Acrylic cement and tips off of Amazon. Stuff should arrive on Will Arrive by Friday. I will do the repair, and fill again on Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, I will work on hanging my Radions! Got to stay positive and busy!! Lets keep it moving!!!

You had to empty it? I am still ahead of you!....till Friday :laugh:  Don't rush too much, just make sure you do it right. Great job.

LOL!! Spoke to the guys at Artfully Acrylic and they told me what to do. I was bummed out for a minute. Told me to apply the #16 Acrylic cement, once it fully cures, apply the aquarium silicone over that. I said to myself, better now then when I have a tank full of fish, coral and equipment. I am actually grateful it happened now. Weird. I will forge ahead!! :ph34r: Ninja style!! Gyre should be here today.

LOL!! Spoke to the guys at Artfully Acrylic and they told me what to do. I was bummed out for a minute. Told me to apply the #16 Acrylic cement, once it fully cures, apply the aquarium silicone over that. I said to myself, better now then when I have a tank full of fish, coral and equipment. I am actually grateful it happened now. Weird. I will forge ahead!! :ph34r: Ninja style!! Gyre should be here today.

Sweet! love the Gyre!

463ccaecb4718a03e6896890ea2b2b0c.jpg

It's here! Now I got to cut out some plumbing this weekend and fix that darn leak. Lost a week. Lost some momentum. Full speed ahead!!

Sweet! that thing moves some water. Good luck with fixing the leak, like you said, better now then when you have to remove fish to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So after a week of discouraging leak repairs I am back!! Leak fixed. Changed the plumbing a bit. I added four quickie connections just in case, filled up the tank to see how good my herbie method worked. It worked awesome! Filling up now with RO and hanging my radions ala BRS DYI rail system. Fish coming soon. Gonna take a few days to fill this puppy up!43574fb8b7fbbbe4e7f3ca34d92d9a35.jpg523a631abc15ce691b80afc7a9c834a0.jpg32c65c4943f49846cda2333905a3a876.jpg

Just a thought. With the cross bracing, wouldn't it be better with one radion over each opening. They supposedly cover 30x30 or 36x36. You could place the lower light stuff under the bracing. And keep the 4th radion for the frag tank :)

No frag tank for me. I like mainly fish and lps so all the lights are over my tank. U hung them all today. Protein skimmer setup tomorrow. c6f541d8f61ceb33a58c4dfc5f3ced1e.jpg8d2e1d5163cf49dbcf68f3313fa6856d.jpg

But thanks for the great idea