placing rocks

edress714

i prefer to keep my rocks off the glass so i can clean around them and if they move they don't scratch the glass or worse.  I have at least a 3" buffer from the side panels and the front

Edited by epleeds

I have some of mine leaning on the back glass panel. No problem. It is a pain when a frag gets lost back there. Don't lean them on the side or front panels or the coralline and algae gets hard to clean around them. Plus make sure the rock shapes will allow good flow and not blocking power heads.

Depending on what type of coral you plan on having, I would make sure that you have enough space to clean the glass, allow for coral grow out, and less rock is better then more for water flow. You want to see coral and not rock when the tank matures...right?

i prefer to keep my rocks off the glass so i can clean around them and if they move they don't scratch the glass or worse. I have at least a 3" buffer from the side panels and the front

This

Depending on what type of coral you plan on having, I would make sure that you have enough space to clean the glass, allow for coral grow out, and less rock is better then more for water flow. You want to see coral and not rock when the tank matures...right?

Or this...don't forget coral growth

DuffyGeos, on 30 Sept 2014 - 9:57 PM, said:snapback.png

"Or this...don't forget coral growth"

Thanks Matt. I am probably going to set my rock back 5"-6" on all sides so the coral can grow out and I will still have the 2"+/- I would need to use a glass cleaner or a handle scraper.  I look at my tank in a 10yr plan, so not in a hurry, and would love to see them grow out to huge sizes and still allow flow and to be able to maintain it.

Also don't forget swimming room for the fish!

• 2 months later...

All of the comments above are from experience.  Everyone at some point has said "dang, I wish that rock was further away from the glass".  Access and cleaning are the main reasons.

I'm a newbie after all my reading, same deal.  I have a large magnetic glass cleaner.  I make sure at a minimum the glass scraper and easily touch every piece of glass in the aquarium.  Even when I move stuff around, I immediatly go through afterwards and clean all the glass and if the magnetic scraper wont fit then I know I need to move stuff around more or back to where it was.  Its totally awesome being able to clean the whole tank in a few minutes with the magnetic scraper.

-Nathan