green algae?

edress714

I want to first thank all you guys again for responding to my noob questions.

Is this green algae? If so what is the best way to remove it or get it trimmed down a bit?

post-2635210-0-13595900-1410830529_thumb.png

Trimmed down meaning it is long hair algae? What I see on the rocks will likely change some as the tank matures and you add some more snails. The tank looks good. There are also green coralline shades though they don't seem to last long.

No I meant like trim down as in make it less lol no hair algae. Getting 15 more snails this week. I just turned the blues off and was like whoa lol

Honestly, it's part of your tanks cycle. From what I remember, you had fish in your tank while it was still cycling, which means your tank just probably finished up. The best thing you can do at this stage is keep feeding your fish, water changes, and slowly add some corals. Give your tank some time to work itself out, enjoy the algae on your rock, it will be replaced with coraline eventually, and probably several different types of algae as well. Just my two cents, but let it ride.

My rocks all looked like that for about a year if I had whites on by themselves.  They probably still mostly do look like that.  I wouldn't worry about it until it starts blowing in the current and even then I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to irritate corals or whatever around it.  Eventually you'll get coralline algae, although it may take a year or more for it to really grow if you are starting with new rock.  Once you get coralline you won't have as much green stuff. 

Also once you get good at exporting nitrate and phosphate the green will go away too.  Some of the export comes from skimming, some from anaerobic bacteria, some from algae growth and removal, some from water changes and detritus removal, some from possible macro growth in a fuge, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

quick update, algae is much more and really really green. like bright green. afraid to say I have been reading some and I think I need to start using RO water instead of tap. phosphates are high and nitrates at 20. you guys think this is the issue or continue to let it ride out?

As long as it's not hair algae or bryopsis which it does NOT look like at all, yes ride it out. Definitely switch to RO water. And stop looking at the tank with the whites only :) You'll only drive yourself crazy. It's natural for the new rock to color up.  As everyone has said, eventually it will be replaced by coraline. 

quick update, algae is much more and really really green. like bright green. afraid to say I have been reading some and I think I need to start using RO water instead of tap. phosphates are high and nitrates at 20. you guys think this is the issue or continue to let it ride out?

Yes, you should start using RO water. It will take a while to drop your phosphates. Water changes mixed with patience will be your recipe for lower phosphates.

Like I said earlier in my post...even I had lot of green algae...the astrea snails cleaned up all the rocks completely...but now I have some on the sand...any suggestions for clearing the algae on the sand?

Like I said earlier in my post...even I had lot of green algae...the astrea snails cleaned up all the rocks completely...but now I have some on the sand...any suggestions for clearing the algae on the sand?

People probably are not responding to that because the OP was asking about their tank. Your tank is still young, but the same rules apply, water changes and patience will be your recipe for sucess, IMO. Anything that will keep your sandbed shuffling about will be good. Astrea snails will eat your algae, and I keep nassarius in my sandbed. Every 3 months or so I try to order new snails. Do not look to snails to be your cure-all for algae, because you will be disapointed.

Sand sifting star and nassarius snails. A diamond goby would help too, but I would do that with caution...basically a challenge to keep corals on the sand bed.

Thanks for the suggestion. May be I will try nassarius snails first. 

Tiger tail sea cucumber keeps my sand really clean. Comes out the back end of it spotless. Plus my cuke split in half and now i have two of them.

Sand sifting star and nassarius snails. A diamond goby would help too, but I would do that with caution...basically a challenge to keep corals on the sand bed.

not enough food in the sand for any of these critters- they'll most likely starve to death.

Let the algae grow- it's part of the cycle and it's obvious that your tank hasn't finished cycling.

Relax, watch the algae grow, and drink a beer.

not enough food in the sand for any of these critters- they'll most likely starve to death.

Let the algae grow- it's part of the cycle and it's obvious that your tank hasn't finished cycling.

Relax, watch the algae grow, and drink a beer.

100% See my first post :)

My rock is only about 1/3 covered in coralline after 1.5 years of running.  It was spotless white when I started, having been acid soaked and bleached to get very old detritus off.  Point is, it will take a while, and I don't really think PurpleUp and other accelerators do anything.