What Media Should I Run on a 29g Reef? Skimmer?

Ryan S

Assume with either option, 10% weekly water changes.

Option 1. Media Basket and Fuge (no skimmer):

MR%20FG%20water%20flow.jpg

Option 2. Media Basket and Skimmer (no fuge):

tunze%20water%20flow.jpg

With either option, should I run in the media basket:

A: Chemi Pure Elite & Purigen.

B: Carbon & GFO.

Mediabaskets.com recommends chemi pure elite and purigen, neither of which I've ever used. But they are slightly costly too, if replaced every 3 months.

Thanks!

Carbon and GFO are the most straightforward. I don't think you really need the expensive stuff.

For image one, I don't think you'd really get that kind of water flow, I don't see why water wouldnt just run from the media basket right to the return section in that configuration. I would run the skimmer there instead. 

Edited by lnevo

Ryan

It's a 29 gallon tank, no need to over think it. Unless you go into SPS you can probably get by with weekly water changes and keeping an eye on the feedings.

On top of that, if the levels get out of wack, you could use some chemi pure in a bag in one of the compartments.

Unless you plan on overstocking it, you should be fine with the water changes

Since you asked...  I vote not doing either unless you find that you need it.  Water changes will likely be plenty for now.  No need to add expense or complication unless your tank asks for it.  Skip the skimmer too unless you find that you need it.  I have skimmers for both of my nanos - sitting in a drawer unused because they just weren't necessary.  Fuge basket really looks like a place to accumulate detritus and "stuff".  Skip it and add some macroalgae to your tank.  Again, you can always add it if you see the need, but if you are looking to add a pod haven, they would do better inside the tank.  Even shoving some chaeto behind a rock is preferable in my opinion.

I am sure that I'll overstock it.  I agree that the amount of chaeto probably wouldn't do much.  I also think running a skimmer will help, at least some.

I'll try running with just the skimmer and water changes at first and see if/when I need to add media then.  Thanks all.

Get a intank media rack and throw those small bags of purigen and chemipure on it.  You can fit both the tunze skimmer and the media rack in the middle chamber of those tanks.  It's tight, but I had it that way.  Put the heater in chamber one, and the ato sensor in chamber three.  If your tank has the false floors you will have to bust them out, but that is simple.

I'd just run the media basket with chaeto (with one of those magnetic JBJ fuge lights), carbon and gfo stacked in separate bags, and filter floss. You don't NEED a skimmer in that size tank if you change water weekly or biweekly.