help! pumps suddenly appear to stop working

tchun

So I woke up this morning to what could have been a huge disaster. I have a nuvo40 and I woke up this morning to see that my pumps from the back section blowing water into my tank was malfunctioning. It was blowing air bubbles out as if it were running on low water. I immediately turned off my pumps (who knows how long it was like that while I slept) and checked to see if everything was alive first, luckily everything was. I then proceeded to check the water levels and it was normal. I took out the pump that appeared to be broken, but then I noticed it was both pumps that seemed to have the problem. After taking out the pumps, I ran them in a bucket with just water by themselves and I didn't notice any problems coming out from them (i.e. the crazy bubbles when a pump doesn't have enough water to pull in) After that step, I checked the tubing going up and into the tank, and it was all intact with no holes or rips. What do i do?!?! I had to leave for work so I left the tank without the pumps in the back off because I didn't want it running like that all day while I was gone. I threw in an extra circulation fan for inside the tank so my fish are still get some circulation.

HELP ME! What is the problem with my pumps? Can anyone help me?

While you have them out I would give them a good cleaning and then re-install them to see how they run. I would double check the water level in the back where the pumps are. Make sure all the filters are cleaned and nothing is preventing water from getting to the pump chamber.

So I woke up this morning to what could have been a huge disaster. I have a nuvo40 and I woke up this morning to see that my pumps from the back section blowing water into my tank was malfunctioning. It was blowing air bubbles out as if it were running on low water. I immediately turned off my pumps (who knows how long it was like that while I slept) and checked to see if everything was alive first, luckily everything was. I then proceeded to check the water levels and it was normal. I took out the pump that appeared to be broken, but then I noticed it was both pumps that seemed to have the problem. After taking out the pumps, I ran them in a bucket with just water by themselves and I didn't notice any problems coming out from them (i.e. the crazy bubbles when a pump doesn't have enough water to pull in) After that step, I checked the tubing going up and into the tank, and it was all intact with no holes or rips. What do i do?!?! I had to leave for work so I left the tank without the pumps in the back off because I didn't want it running like that all day while I was gone. I threw in an extra circulation fan for inside the tank so my fish are still get some circulation.

While you have them out I would give them a good cleaning and then re-install them to see how they run. I would double check the water level in the back where the pumps are. Make sure all the filters are cleaned and nothing is preventing water from getting to the pump chamber.

+1

If I read your original post correctly and literally, it sounds like you checked the levels after the pumps were off. Please check the water level in the pump compartment when the pumps are running. It sounds a lot like the water level is low there and that the pumps are sucking air. Clogged filters or failure to top off adequately can contribute to low water in your return section.

+1

If I read your original post correctly and literally, it sounds like you checked the levels after the pumps were off. Please check the water level in the pump compartment when the pumps are running. It sounds a lot like the water level is low there and that the pumps are sucking air. Clogged filters or failure to top off adequately can contribute to low water in your return section.

Hey. Sorry. Just the way I worded it, but I most definitely checked the water levels on my tank when everything was on. Back pumps, inside tank circulation fans (2), and my skimmer were all on at the time. I might go home to check out my filters. Maybe that is where the problem is even though it did seem to be fine for the levels in the back when I checked.

Edited by tchun

I would triple-quadruple check the water level where the pump(s) are sitting.  Sounds like you have two pumps, and both were blowing bubbles?   (I thought the Nuvo 40 only had one return pump.)  I can't imagine what could cause two pumps to misbehave simultaneously, except a low water level.

Keep in mind that the level only has to be low enough so that whirlpools form, sucking in air.  That might still be a couple of inches of water.  Also, if the water level gets very low so that the pump is dry, then your ATO refills the compartment, you could get air trapped in the pump.  That's looks unlikely in the Nuvo design, but if you've done some mods...

If there are two pumps and only one is malfunctioning, it could be a couple of things.  Worn impeller bearings (those little black caps on the ends of the impeller shaft) will make the impeller chatter and cavitate, which produces bubbles.  A dirty filter on the pump's intake may cause the filter to get sucked partway into the intake, greatly reducing flow.  This will also cause cavitation.

Good luck! 

Since there is a siphon break in my return lines, mine blows the air out for 20seconds when I first turn the pumps on. Then resumes normal operation. I would agree with everyone else's suggestions: 1) pump cavitation. 2) pump malfunction 3)partial pump blockage or debris sucked in 4) return line issues but they would probably be leaking. Also check for a Venturi effect. This would be a snail shell or restricted flow just before a hole in your return lines (or siphon break)

So I came home to first take the advice of changing my filter but that didn't seem to work. From there I then decided to remove the pumps again and see what could be the problem, luckily from there, I was able to find a problem. When I was pulling out the pumps, I noticed the part that pulled the water in was facing upwards which could obviously lead to whirlpools as Jon Lazar mentioned. I decided to simply turn the pump in a different direction after placing the tubing on and tried that simple solution first, and IT WORKED! I had cleaned the pumps out over the weekend and when I put them back in I must have put them back in different direction leading to the problem. Interesting that I noticed the problem only this morning when it has been a few days. Perhaps it might have happened due to a little bit of water loss over the few days after putting the pumps back in. Thanks for all the help and concern guys! Really appreciate it.