Wow just when everything turns around a leak happens...

GraffitiSpotCorals

Just got home to a fried reefkeeper, again! The shallow reef which is packed with corals is leaking from the bbottom of the tank somewhere. Not sure if it's. Bulkhead seal or if it's somehow cracked. Its a Naga tank and has bubbles all over the joints so I don't know. End of my vacation is just turned around... I feel like getting rid of it all, but there,is so much coral that would take a year. Time to take the tank completely apart and somehow find a place to put all the corals...

I am just lucky the house didn't burn down. The water dripped through a closed loop hole and filled my power strip with water. Not sure how many pieces of equipment were fried but I guess it's time to find out...

Paul do you need anything?

How much sq. ft of tank space do you need?

Edited by DuffyGeos

I have the corals out now. We have to cut out the closed loop and see where the leak is by testing the tank somehow. Hopefully its the 1" bulkhead on the closed loop. But it's a stream of water so who knows...

I have the corals out now. We have to cut out the closed loop and see where the leak is by testing the tank somehow. Hopefully its the 1" bulkhead on the closed loop. But it's a stream of water so who knows...

Let us know if there is anything you need.. Tanks, fittings, pumps,......good luck, very stressful.

No more shallow reef for us : (

I haven't touched that bulkhead since I put it on and out of nowhere the acrylic cracks in two spots... I miss my oceanic glass tank so bad right now! The acrylic is 3/4" also!

Looks like I am on the hunt for a new tank again... And a new reef keeper. : (

6debb87be50d0967df5a0d2ccaaf3f66.jpg

What pump did you have driving the CL?  Also, did you have a 90 or 45 degree elbow on the bulkhead?  I am trying to determine what caused the stress at the bulkhead.  Acrylic is strong.

The Pump was a little giant low pressure 1250 gph. Very quite no vibration. Had flex hoses Also. There are pictures on my link in my signature to the plumbing under the tank. I am baffled at why it cracked suddenly. I lost a few gallons of water in a matter of a couple of hours. The bulkhead was hand tight and snugged a small amount with channel locks.

Bummer! Sorry to hear.

One would think 3/4" acrylic should not crack like that. Looks like you might be able to repair/reseal the crack.

Yea it shouldn't crack like that. At this point I am just getting a different tank because the shallow tank becomes overgrown way to quickly.

I was going to just drill a bigger bulkhead in and remove the small cracks (2 of them) but I will let someone else mess with it. A new bigger tank was something we can use more.

The Pump was a little giant low pressure 1250 gph. Very quite no vibration. Had flex hoses Also. There are pictures on my link in my signature to the plumbing under the tank. I am baffled at why it cracked suddenly. I lost a few gallons of water in a matter of a couple of hours. The bulkhead was hand tight and snugged a small amount with channel locks.

You'd think it would be isolated enough not to crack like that. Bummer.

Do you have the desire to repair it and can it be repaired? Is there room to cut a piece of acrylic and cement it inside? Maybe you can draw some Weldon-4 into the cracks with a little heat to repair the cracks, before patching?

It's repairable for sure, I May try and fix it but either way I am going to sell it and get a bigger tank.

I suspect sabotage :ph34r: with a specific outcome in mind...    :rolleyes:

Now I see what happened... time to get the fingerprint kit out. : )

Also I see now that the bottom is 1/2", I am going to get Adam to fix it and sell it, we ended up getting a 90 tall so our corals can grow out more and we can keep a bigger fish to eat the bubble algae.

Now I see what happened... time to get the fingerprint kit out. : )

Also I see now that the bottom is 1/2", I am going to get Adam to fix it and sell it, we ended up getting a 90 tall so our corals can grow out more and we can keep a bigger fish to eat the bubble algae.

Glad to see you are getting through it, hopefully you didn't lose too many corals, or did too much damage to the house.

Ok, I got a used tank and set it up, moving corals back over today after work.

I think maybe adding another bottom to the tank will fix it. I will probly do that and hope somebody wants to buy a shallow tank setup. Not sure if I can just add it to the old bottom Or if it needs to be cut out.