Coral QT Tank

motti

After finding Monti eating nudis on one of the monti caps that I dipped when I first received it, and now trying to kill the little buggers... I decided to spend the extra money and putting together a small coral QT Tank.

I was thinking to go with either the jbj 3 gallon or the nuvo 4 gallon tank. does anyone here have experience with either one of them? I plan to keep corals in there for at least 2 months before moving them into the frag tank. hoping that taking this extra step will help to prevent any other pests in the future... unfortunately  dipping wasn't enough in this case.

I would love to hear about your experience with QTing coral frag over long period of time.

Thanks!

As someone else who has learned their lesson, I will also be quarantining corals in the future.

My overall plan is to quarantine one coral at a time (sometimes this will not be an option and a risk I will have to take), that way if one is infected with something it does not infect other corals. If I DO see something, remove coral (or pests if possible) and restart QT clock. I will also be dipping in coral dip(s) and hydrogen peroxide. It may seem excessive but I have been burned hard and I need to remember that this is an investment and a long term thing, quick fixes do no good!! I am not sure yet on my equipment list as I have time to figure that out. Most likely will be a 20L though, probably LEDs.

Edited by Squishie89

Motti,

Great idea, I am on the same track. I actually had Adam build me 2 frag tanks, one for a QT frag tank on it's own system, and the larger one will be a grow out frag tank which I plan on tying into my DT system. I plan on QTing corals for a month to two months before it gets placed in the grow out tank.

Don't want to take any chances.

I have the jbj pico and it is fine.  I have a little finnex fuge ray over it but not sure what you would need just for qt'ing.  It does need daily top offs but it is simple because the tank is so small (as are water changes).  Honestly though, one of the 5.5 gallon standards with an aquaclear that is a little oversized might be more appropriate for coral.  That's what I plan to do.  The standard equipment that comes with the jbj is not really sps friendly.  But with your choices you mentioned, I'm guessing you are looking for a small display?  An AIO like the nuvo might be a little tougher to keep the compartments really clean if you end up with an issue and need to sanitize it.

I dipped the hammer I just got from you and didnt see anything.  What are the chances that they are in my tank now?

Not likely. Especially if you dipped.

Motti, talk to Marcos about his QT procedure for corals, he is meticulous, and that is putting it mildly.