Very important read about boiling live rock

Kevnjeep

I read through that thread when it first came out. What a crazy story. One thing for sure it will make you think twice before boiling rock.

A longtime member of this club, steveoutlaw, was the canonical case of this and written up everywhere. Useful reminder for the folks who havent heard of outlaw stew.

"Prior to leaving I took to pot of rocks and dumped them onto the lawn outside and rushed out"

some people are absolutely clueless. If this Darwin nominee had just done this or simply placed them in a bucket, all would be fine. Where do people get these weird ideas that it's ok to boil rocks? do they make "stone soup" for dinner?

Toxins are not fun. I never figured out if mine were palys/gsp/flatworms - I nuked my tank with flatworm exit and stuck my hand in it...with a small open cut I hadn't noticed...ended up in an ambulance. More fun continued in that I had some kind of ptsd reaction and would have full on panic attacks if I saw a fish tank! Heck, I couldn't even go in a pet store! Setting up a tank again 18 months later was a little scary and I still worry a little every time tank water touches me. (More ironic since I grew up in Florida picking up every water critter I found).

It may seem stupid to an experienced aquarist to boil rocks, but we have all been newbs and you just have no idea that it could be so dangerous.

Honestly, just like having an emergency contact on your phone, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have an emergency packet in a safe place with info about toxins, resources, phone contact of a local reefer in case of a problem (to give to a doc, or your significant other to have). You are not in a great position to offer info if there is an emergency and I can promise you that the docs don't have a clue how to approach.

Toxins are not fun. I never figured out if mine were palys/gsp/flatworms - I nuked my tank with flatworm exit and stuck my hand in it...with a small open cut I hadn't noticed...ended up in an ambulance.

You think the Flatworm Exit somehow released palytoxin?

You think the Flatworm Exit somehow released palytoxin?

Flatworms release toxin when they die, corals release toxin when they are threatened (poison/toxin from something else). Plus, it was a relatively new tank to me so who knows what was lurking in there. There were alot of flatworms.