Bar Reef Tank?

Djplus1

I'm not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but if you've been to Shark's Underwater Grill at Sea World in Orlando, you may have  seen this. I have seem to misplaced my SD card with the pics for the moment (the reason I have not already posted something).

The premise of said tank is that it is a reef counter of sorts. Basically the visible part is the part you set your drinks/plates on (look down orientation) and not visible at all from the sides. It's not very deep (by the looks of it 6-8" max, maybe even less).

The lighting appears to come from under an overhang on the bartender's side of the tank (submerged?)as there are no visible lights from you while sitting at bar.

It is definitely a reef tank with real corals, small stuff mainly, shrooms, acans, etc. with a few small fish, some clowns, some helfrichi fire fish, some hawk fish, you get the point.

I asked the bar staff and no one knew anything about the set up.

My questions are, is my guess about the lighting correct? If not where would you light such a tank?

How do you keep the viewing pain algae free?

How difficult is something like this to pull off?

I would seriously consider making a bar tank like this at some point if it was somewhat economically feasible.

I will try to post pics if I can ever find that card.

(edited)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34515-d1156290-Reviews-Sharks_Underwater_Grill_SeaWorld_Orlando-Orlando_Florida.html#LIGHTBOXVIEW

May have beat me to it!!!!! this is a pic.

There is one more pic on the TA site, I don't know why the link would not copy

Edited by DuffyGeos

Unfortunately, those pics don't do this any justice as they suck. I'm hoping mine looked better so people can get a good looksie.

From the shadows in the pics on tripadvisor t looks like there are T5s on the front of the bar shining back and down. I bet the tank is deeper than you think and also that there is a gap of a few inches between water and acrylic bar top with some care to keep the water surface still and the acrylic moisture free.