Furan -2 use

Sharkey18

If you dose the furan 2 you will wipe out the tank's nitrosoma bacteria population which could cause ammonia issues. The tank may have to cycle all over again.

Laura, are you treating your zoas, or a fish? Need help with anything?

I actually want to treat the fish, but there are like 28 juvenile Bangaiis in the tank and moving them all to a hospital tank is a pain. They are showing signs of tail rot, probably from a gram - bacteria. Is it not terrible, no open sores yet, but I am seeing redness under the skin at the base of the tails on several fish. I saw it about a month ago, even saw it on the yellow tang. Redness under the skin on the body. I  just let it ride and it went away... but obviously it did not really go away. 

It is a zoa only tank, no sps or anything else.  So I am considering dosing the entire tank, managing any ammonia spikes with water changes. I can deal with the loss of the biological filter. I have plenty of fresh live rock I can add from my main system if the biological filter goes kaput from the furan. I am more interested in whether the furan will have any negative effects on the zoas. Since it is used as a zoa dip, I am guessing not, so what is the big deal if I treat the entire tank? 

• 1 month later...

So I dosed my zoa tank with furan-2. 

I did 2 doses 2 days apart. 

Results:

1) Ammonia was not a problem. Managed with water changes and live rock from other tank. 

2) Fish did not improve. Many still have redness at the base of the tail, however neither have they gotten worse. No lesions, fin rot etc. 

3) My zoas all bleached after about 2 weeks. 

So I need suggestions on what, if anything to treat these fish with and is there anything I can dose to help my zoas regain their color. This all happened about a month ago, so the color is coming back, just wondering if there is anything I can do to help them along.