Back from the islands and bought new corals

Keraxis

(edited)

Didn't like the state of my tank when i returned from the tropics..... i think the pet sitter didn't follow my instructions well so i had to do a 50% water change.  While at the store i picked up a lawnmower blenny and 5 turbo snails and the wife wanted a anemone for the clown pair.  well she saw this coral she fell in love with.... which cost more then i wanted to spend but I really want her to feel that its her tank also so i bought it.  heres a few pics of the tank and my new additions.. including my 9 head hybrid hammer coral (2 colors)

post-2635153-0-80574100-1405741545_thumb.jpg

post-2635153-0-45497000-1405741896_thumb.jpg

post-2635153-0-05449300-1405741897_thumb.jpg

post-2635153-0-54621300-1405741897_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keraxis

Cool! First pic, what kind of anemone is that? Did you get it from marine scene? I was looking at picking up one just like that, but they couldnt give me an accurate ID and I didnt feel comfortable taking it home at that point. Either way, looking forward to seeing updates about how it does!

thanks for the share and welcome to WAMAS if i haven't shared that already!

kind of hard to tell but the nem looks like a dyed h.crispa perhaps a h.malu.

a.ocellaris don't share a natural relationship with h.crispas so if that is what your clowns are i wouldn't expect them to swimming happily in that sebae any time soon although some times odder things happen with clownfish. a.percula do share a natural symbiotic relationship with h.crispa and from what i can tell from the photo looks like your clown pair is a.percula. is that correct?

if you're interested in some advice, i'd enourage you to return the sebae to whichever LFS you got it from. it will likely not fair well in your system ultimately. it is also rather misleading selling a dyed specimen to a hobbyist. that is not a natural color and if it survives the dye-job because of great husbandry will likely be tan in coloration but could develop colored tips down the road if not already present. this species is already quite delicate requiring very stable parameters and if the wife just has to have a nem, a bubble tip anemone/e.quadricolor would be much more likely to survive as your tank works through it's cycling process and stages remaining. we have many that are propagated by our community that are accustomed to a captive environment at a very fair price regularly that would be your best candidate if waiting really isn't going to happen.

you should start a build thread since things are just getting started for you and the system. it is great to look back where you started, keep notes for yourself, and all the helpful advice in one location. look forward to more updates and don't forget to keep things slow, research everything three times before purchasing or feel free to solicit advice on here before every purchase until you feel comfortable, and enjoy!

The yellow nem is a sabae anemone.  Now that its open you can see the white with the spot of purple on the tentacles.  The clowns will host it except it decided it liked it under the rock and the clowns wont go there because thats where my coral banded shrimp likes to be.  Nice spot where it ended up just not where i wanted it..... I did pick then up from marine scene.  The price was high on the hammer but its really healthy and my wife really wanted it.  The fact that it got her excited about the tank made it worth it in my book plus its a beautiful center piece.  I plan to send my dues in shortly and start a build thread.  Ive been taking alot of pictures of the process including the pile of wood that became my stand.  All the additions are doing well and the turbos are destroying my green algae...(problem with going on vacation and having a pet sitter).  My Lawnmower started eating about 4 hours of being in the tank and now he just sits and watches everything.

a.ocellaris don't share a natural relationship with h.crispas so if that is what your clowns are i wouldn't expect them to swimming happily in that sebae any time soon although some times odder things happen with clownfish. a.percula do share a natural symbiotic relationship with h.crispa and from what i can tell from the photo looks like your clown pair is a.percula. is that correct?

if you're interested in some advice, i'd enourage you to return the sebae to whichever LFS you got it from. it will likely not fair well in your system ultimately. it is also rather misleading selling a dyed specimen to a hobbyist. that is not a natural color and if it survives the dye-job because of great husbandry will likely be tan in coloration but could develop colored tips down the road if not already present. this species is already quite delicate requiring very stable parameters and if the wife just has to have a nem, a bubble tip anemone/e.quadricolor would be much more likely to survive as your tank works through it's cycling process and stages remaining. we have many that are propagated by our community that are accustomed to a captive environment at a very fair price regularly that would be your best candidate if waiting really isn't going to happen.

you should start a build thread since things are just getting started for you and the system. it is great to look back where you started, keep notes for yourself, and all the helpful advice in one location. look forward to more updates and don't forget to keep things slow, research everything three times before purchasing or feel free to solicit advice on here before every purchase until you feel comfortable, and enjoy!

Good and informative post. A reminder post like this is always helpful no matter how long anyone has been in the hobby. Thanks.

(edited)

The yellow nem is a sabae anemone.  Now that its open you can see the white with the spot of purple on the tentacles.  The clowns will host it except it decided it liked it under the rock and the clowns wont go there because thats where my coral banded shrimp likes to be.  Nice spot where it ended up just not where i wanted it..... I did pick then up from marine scene.  The price was high on the hammer but its really healthy and my wife really wanted it.  The fact that it got her excited about the tank made it worth it in my book plus its a beautiful center piece.  I plan to send my dues in shortly and start a build thread.  Ive been taking alot of pictures of the process including the pile of wood that became my stand.  All the additions are doing well and the turbos are destroying my green algae...(problem with going on vacation and having a pet sitter).  My Lawnmower started eating about 4 hours of being in the tank and now he just sits and watches everything.

just to ensure it's clear h.crispa is the latin/scientific name for a sebae anemone. if the clowns are enjoying it i take it they are indeed a.percula then? keep us updated on the nem's health, color transition both within the body and tips, and best of luck with it since you have decided to keep it. the last one i saved from someone's tank a year or two ago that was dyed went to slight orange then tan as it matured and regained health. i would be curious to see the progression of yours if you're able to maintain it. just realized you weren't a member, you'll love the benefits so i'm glad to hear you'll be joining our ranks soon, haha!

Good and informative post. A reminder post like this is always helpful no matter how long anyone has been in the hobby. Thanks.

patience and diligence, right?

Edited by monkiboy

You are correct that they are true perc.  The Nem was actually really cheap and seems happy.  I would rather ride it out instead of shocking it again and possibly killing it.  If it dies off i would be interested in a rosetip from someone in the community.  I would be quite upset if the hammer died though since it was alittle pricy but thats what you get when you buy a 9 head piece of coral that size.

(edited)

just to ensure it's clear h.crispa is the latin/scientific name for a sebae anemone. if the clowns are enjoying it i take it they are indeed a.percula then? keep us updated on the nem's health, color transition both within the body and tips, and best of luck with it since you have decided to keep it. the last one i saved from someone's tank a year or two ago that was dyed went to slight orange then tan as it matured and regained health. i would be curious to see the progression of yours if you're able to maintain it. just realized you weren't a member, you'll love the benefits so i'm glad to hear you'll be joining our ranks soon, haha!

patience and diligence, right?

Ill definitely keep you guys informed on my tank and plan on attending meetings.  I was going to go to frag fest but had a trip to ST. John which was honestly better then anything the group could have put together.  I swam with the fish for about 3 hours a day.  The nem found a spot it liked and only spit out alittle waste when i put it in.  It also opened up all the way which is a good sign because it shrank when i first put in in.  Also why would the body be yellow but not the tentacles if they injected it.  Those parts are pretty white with purple tips.

Edited by Keraxis

The wife is spoiling me since we got home.  She also let me visit my coral guy so i got a frogspawn.  trumpet coral and a very bright red mushroom.  I live in sterling and work 300 yards from marine scene so I am in there all the time.

Cool! First pic, what kind of anemone is that? Did you get it from marine scene? I was looking at picking up one just like that, but they couldnt give me an accurate ID and I didnt feel comfortable taking it home at that point. Either way, looking forward to seeing updates about how it does!

I saw that little yellow one today! Oh man was he cute!!

I saw that little yellow one today! Oh man was he cute!!

They had more then one.  The other one wasn't doing so well when i was there.  If he was doing better i would wait to see if mine survives before you buy one.

They had more then one. The other one wasn't doing so well when i was there. If he was doing better i would wait to see if mine survives before you buy one.

I am on a buying livestock ban at the moment but thanks for the heads up

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk