Help Identify This Inhabitant

howaboutme

I noticed this in my tank during lights out tonight. I am still in total shock as I have been very careful when adding stuff and started with a very sterile tank. Having hitchhikers are new to me. I suspect this guy has been in for a while and just got big enough to be noticeable. Maybe he got in as a larva, too small for me to notice until now.

Any thoughts? Is it a type of nudibranch? It's purple with 2 tentacles at the front. The edges are kind of flappy, if you know what I mean. These are the best picts I can get for now from my cell phone.

013016ec-a042-4176-9f7b-f4e4b0ec7a0c.jpg

From the top

f890ada3-5d3b-44f6-9da3-fcd5c2dd26bc.jpg

Good? Bad?

(edited)

Either a keyhole limpet or a scutus

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/Hitchsnails.html
http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Hitchhikers_Guide_to_the_Reef_Tank

^--My top 3 favorite ID sites

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Edited by Squishie89

Kindof looks like a polyclad flatworm from here. Pretty harmless very common.

Polyclads are not harmless, they eat snails and other mollusks like clams.

Looks like a cowie.

Thanks for the brainstorming so far.

I don't believe it's a Cowrie unless they can have no shell. There is definitely no shell on the thing.

It could be a Scutus but the color is not black. The purple color is very striking. It's quite beautiful if you ask me.

I am thinking it's a type of flatform. Images of other Polyclad flatforms do look like what is pictured here though colors vary.

I do have a Maxima but don't notice anything bothering it yet. I also have not noticed any snails dying any more than normal.

I didn't pick it out and I didn't find it this morning so not sure where it is. I am sure it will surface again. I have not notice it going after corals, which is good. Good or bad, I am pretty upset that it got into my tank.

Any other thoughts for the morning crowd?

Thanks!

I have a cowie that looks exactly like that but black, the mantle completely covers the shell.

I have a cowie that looks exactly like that but black, the mantle completely covers the shell.

You mean cowrie, right? I can't find anything on cowie. This thing in my tank most definitely does not have a shell so most likely will eliminate that as a possibility.

What kind of lights do you run? Blue LED or Actinics may make it look more blue than it would in sunlight. The info on polyclads eating clams and snails is highly controversial. I have found polyclads in mine with no snails vanishing but I don't have a clam. It's possible they eat the ultra tiny snails in my tank but they reproduce so quickly I would never know.

What kind of lights do you run? Blue LED or Actinics may make it look more blue than it would in sunlight. The info on polyclads eating clams and snails is highly controversial. I have found polyclads in mine with no snails vanishing but I don't have a clam. It's possible they eat the ultra tiny snails in my tank but they reproduce so quickly I would never know.

That is very possible. I have SO many mini ceriths I would almost never know if some were being eaten. I have seen polyclads go after snails in my tank multiple times unfortunately =/

kyjt.jpg

Hard to tell what is going on here but it is a polyclad coming out of the rock, eating the mini cerith.

Cool pic! I have turbo snails so they aren't that small. My polyclad looks different ill have to find a pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run LEDs but those pictures were taken with both whites and blues on and it's most definitely purple. Most of my snails are much bigger so I don't see any issues so far.

The picture Squishie posted looks very similar in texture to what I saw, just the color is different.

I will have to keep an eye out though I have no clue where it is now....If I see it and I'm in a position to take it out, I will. Otherwise, it's kind of cool looking.

Interesting. Wonder if I have those. Could be why i have trouble keeping ceriths even though astrea do fine? I had hundreds of mini ceriths and now have none.

I have pictures somewhere of what boiled polyclads look like =P They are insane little monsters, although beautiful and amazing. They are so flexible and fast.
I still think the OP has a Fleshy Limpet (Lucapina sp) Flatworms are well, flat, OP looks 3D

Ok..So after doing some more image research on Fleshy Limpets, I am bringing them into the picture of possibilities. I need to do more comparisons between them and the Polyclads.

I did find the thing tonight and I believe I know where it resides so I think it'll be relatively easy to locate again if I need to try to get it out. If it's a polyclad, I will want it out. If it's a fleshy limpet..maybe not? Some research seems to deem it relatively reef safe....Thank you all for the help so far!

(edited)

Two more cell shots from tonight with a flashlight. I think squishie is right, it is most definitely NOT flat

2014-07-09223922.jpg

2014-07-09223843.jpg

Edited by howaboutme

The groove on the back is indicative of a mantle or foot that comes out and wraps around the animal. If you want to know if it is a limpet or a cowrie, just poke it and it should pull itself back under the shell. My bet is you have a limpet there.

Thanks guys! I will take a 3rd look at it tonight when lights out (assuming it cooperates).

Is the consensus that if it is a limpet, it is okay?

I kind of like it and if it's going to cooperate, I'd rather leave it. I just can't figure out how it got in my tank. It must have come in long time ago when I was just starting out and has grown large enough to be seen recently.

Thanks guys! I will take a 3rd look at it tonight when lights out (assuming it cooperates).

Is the consensus that if it is a limpet, it is okay?

I kind of like it and if it's going to cooperate, I'd rather leave it. I just can't figure out how it got in my tank. It must have come in long time ago when I was just starting out and has grown large enough to be seen recently.

My best guess is yes, he is okay. Funny I just noticed all the other "regular" limpets you have.

It must have come in long time ago when I was just starting out and has grown large enough to be seen recently.

I have them in my tank, and they are awesome. I also did not put any in my tank, on purpose.

Funny I just noticed all the other "regular" limpets you have.

Wait! What else do you see? I tend to no worry about every odd thing in my tank but since you mentioned it, what other limped do you see? I don't see anything else in the photos.

I have them in my tank, and they are awesome. I also did not put any in my tank, on purpose.

Is your nocturnal too?

Is your nocturnal too?

My biggest one was, the others are. This is what happened to my biggest one:

Sorry about the VVS, I was yelled at and now shoot my videos the right way.