Idea to add a sump to my 36 Gallon BowFront

All right, I think it's time to add a sump to my 36 gallon... But, I have no idea where to start, need your help. The tank is not drilled, and I will be putting the sump behind the stand because it can't fit under the three section stand... It's really small

What size space do you have to work with?

Hey Matt, not much maybe the same size as the tank width and hight... I'm going to be pulling the tank from the wall and maybe placing the sump on cinder blocks possibly if that's the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aqueon website says a 36biw is 30 x15 x 20. How big do you want the sump? A standard 29g is 30" x 12" x 18"...may be overkill but would match your tank width. A 20L is also 30". You might simply do a 10g or 15h perpendicular to the tank and put it underneath if there is any room....wouldn't stick out the back but like 5 inches...but not really room for a fuge

Aqueon website says a 36biw is 30 x15 x 20. How big do you want the sump? A standard 29g is 30" x 12" x 18"...may be overkill but would match your tank width. A 20L is also 30". You might simply do a 10g or 15h perpendicular to the tank and put it underneath if there is any room....wouldn't stick out the back but like 5 inches...but not really room for a fuge

Yeah the stand is one of those that have a skinny door in the middle with two open sides, no room for a sump. As far as putting the sump perpendicular to the tank lol my some would have saltwater play everyday with his toys lol!!! I don't mind pulling the tank out a bit or even puttin it in a corner and rearranging the dining room a little... Wait wait got to ask my wife first lol but no really I should be good to put a nice size I the back. The 20L, if I'm thinking correctly on how it looks that might not be a bad choice.. But again, I'm not to worried about how big it will be because I will figure out how to get it up and in the back of the tank some how.

You consider building a stand? How about just a small cabinet to enclose the sump + possibly an ATO container? It could sit right next to your tank. If it's in your dining room you don't want it to be an eyesore. You will never hear the end of it from you wife LOL.  When you figure out the tank size, Petco is having its $1/g sale til July 12.

I actually have a 20" sump I may not end up using, but it's two compartment and doesn't have a fuge. Is there, or could you make, a 10-11"wide opening in the back where your center door is? That would let this sump model I have fit in your stand and stick out the back....or would do the same for a 10g from petco. That was what I was thinking when I suggested perpendicular. Cheers

You consider building a stand? How about just a small cabinet to enclose the sump + possibly an ATO container? It could sit right next to your tank. If it's in your dining room you don't want it to be an eyesore. You will never hear the end of it from you wife LOL.  When you figure out the tank size, Petco is having its $1/g sale til July 12.

I was going to suggest making a new stand too; or maybe buying a new cabinet that open completely. It'll save more room if you can keep the sump/refugium underneath, 

Tony if you want to go the build your own route, I have a table saw, miter saw, portable circular saw and other tools you can use to get it done.

Thank you very much for offering your tools! I will let you know when I'm ready!