Copperband feeding

Djplus1

I just picked up a frozen food eating copperband from another member. I have witnessed it eating aiptasia in my tank (there is ALOT).

My question is, do I need to feed this guy while there is aiptasia present?

I only got him to eat my aiptasia to begin with, so I don't want to feed him frozen and make him complacent and not eat my aiptasia.

However, I don't want to assume that he's getting all of the nutrition he needs from the aiptasia alone.

I also don't want him to completely rely on an aiptasia population and "forget" about frozen foods and die when the aiptasia is gone.

If I do need to supplement his diet, should I just feed some frozen every few days or once a week or maybe even multiple times a day?

Don't rely on letting it just eat aptasia. Copperbands graze all day, just like mandarins, mine is always the first to investigate any sign of potential food. Don't worry about spoiling it's appetite, sounds like it has a taste. I got some live reef frenzy food through Marco, my copperband eats from my fingers!

It takes them time to acquire a taste to the food we feed them. We Obviously know they don't eat frozen in the wild. Mine took 10 live black worm feelings before they all caught on. Now go wild when they are thrown in. I wouldn't worry about him forgetting how good aptasia tastes. Fish think they are always starving. I once caught a bucket mouth bass that had giant crawdad claws hanging out of its esophagus.

Don't rely on letting it just eat aptasia. Copperbands graze all day, just like mandarins, mine is always the first to investigate any sign of potential food. Don't worry about spoiling it's appetite, sounds like it has a taste. I got some live reef frenzy food through Marco, my copperband eats from my fingers!

Like I said, I have ALOT of aiptasia. I'm not sure you understand how much natural food this guy will have in my tank. I also have tons of pods, etc. I watched him eat pe mysis from hand, so I know he likes frozen. I just need to have an idea how much frozen to supplement while having him at the same time decimate my aiptasia issue.

Feed him both, would hate to see him eat the apt only and start on your corals because he is hungry for more

I would feed as normal (for me that's once a day) and let it work on your aiptasia. I may underestimate the quantity, but when you feed it's only a small portion of what I believe your copperband is eating. The advice and suggestions are merely based on my observations and limited experience. I saw mine eat frozen before it came home, and it wouldn't touch any food I fed for about 14 days. I documented the process from early December of last year until about February. I often hear if these fish either not doing well from the start, or more often, making it till about the toe year mark and then dying. I've talked to about 4 reefers who have had that similar experience, and I have to think its because they consumed all the natural food being provided. Paul B has had success, but he feeds live all day long with his home made apparatus. Sorry for the novel, hope I answered your question.

I would feed as normal (for me that's once a day) and let it work on your aiptasia.

That's good advice!

He's eating the PE Mysis, but shying away from the Aiptasia now. This is what I hoped to NOT happen. I don't want a finicky eating fish, I want something to eat my god darn aiptasia!

He's eating the PE Mysis, but shying away from the Aiptasia now. This is what I hoped to NOT happen. I don't want a finicky eating fish, I want something to eat my god darn aiptasia!

Same thing happened to me. Then my aiptasia started to disappear. I wouldn't worry about it.