How to remove RBTA?

gmerek2

I have a RBTA that split. Now there are 4 anemones. I would like to get real world opinions on how to remove them. The foot of the anemones is somewhat deep in holes and crevices. I tried icing their feet, hair dryer to their feet lol, hanging them upside down for 20 min. 15 min power head blast. Well they survived the torture and have good strong stubborn foot. Any suggestions? I'm tempted to rip them out is that how they remove them from the ocean? I did a lot of the strategies half heartedly since I didn't want to kill the nem.

It sounds like they are on rocks that are removable, so could you consider just giving up the rocks with them? Then when they are in their new home, they will most assuredly wander to new locations, at which time the rocks will be able to be returned to you anemone free.

Is it possible to not put light over that part of the tank? The anemones will get tired of the dark and move.

Great idea. I'll put the rock in my frag tank and turn lights down. and peel them off the rock when they start to move.

They are all on a large rock that is the top archway of a cave. So I don't want to cut up my favorite rock. Your low light solution should work great.

I had a person tell me about the ice, and then the other thing was tapping on the rock with a small hammer they don't like the vibration either. If your wanting new homes for the I have room in my tank :)

The tapping of the rock does work but it takes about five or ten minutes of tapping. Just hold them upside down and tap until they start to fall out. If this is a really delicate rock I would not hit too hard as it could damage the rock.

Bright light seems to make them move faster than low light from my experience. They will try to walk to a lower light area.

I agree with all of the above except the lower light. This seems to be an individual trait even though it's the same anemone cloning itself over and over again. I have had many anemones in the past that moved themselves to low light areas or split and settled in low light areas that were insufficient for their needs and they never moved on their own and either bleached from low light or simply stretched themselves up to the light while maintaining their foot in the shade. Also, I would avoid tapping on the rock unless you can remove it, which you can. I tried to do this in the water once and the tapping killed a big egg laying black Ocellaris female. She would not abandon the anemone and about 10 minutes later I found her dead from trauma and sensory overload to her lateral line, almost like fish die from dynamite fishing (at least that is my best educated guess).

Out of all of the methods, I have found that simply working under their foot with a finger nail or credit card works the best, though, but since this won't work for you I would try the tapping. Beware, however, at the stress and any potential damage could cause them to split again and put you right back where you started!

I'm having the same problem. I have one that has a foot deep in a hole of a HUGE rock. Tried hanging it upside down, turning off the light, blasting with a powerhead and ice. None of that worked.

I did catch one that was moving the other day and was able to peel it right off the rock with almost no effort.

Sounds like you have already tried everything I have to suggest, I think the intense lighting might work, I had/have a Carpet in my DT that moved one day after 6 months, I assume that the casue was due to lighting, because he is living in the back corner of my tank in the shade now and doing well, so I left him there.

I have some extra lighting. I'll try that first since that would be easiest solution. This nem is going to get a sunburn!

I have always had success pointing a small power head at the foot. But I would think it takes longer than 15 minutes. I usually check back later in the day or at night and it will be on the move and easily retrieved.

Make sure they don't go in a powerhead while wandering. That's what happened to mine, after it had stayed in the same spot for months and months safe.

I have always had success pointing a small power head at the foot. But I would think it takes longer than 15 minutes. I usually check back later in the day or at night and it will be on the move and easily retrieved.

I think I need to grab one with less power I was blasting that poor thing lol. Yea if it was slow and annoying for the nem I could get it to remove its foot. The nem right now is sucking in the crevice to avoid light and coming out when he needs it so I'll try power head in a few days if this doesn't work.

It appears RBTA is enjoying extra light. They are 3w but probably not enough bulbs so I'm going to blast it with power head nowbu9ujuze.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sucked in that crevice and I can't angle PH to hit its foot. Not sure that it matters it's P.O. My nems usually move at night so I'm betting i get him later.

The current typically needs to be directed at the base. Since yours has it's base in the rock, take a regular powerheads or a pump return and put a hose into the crevice, but be careful to not damage the foot or it could divide again. By directing current at the oral disc it will simply move that part of its body to another place.

a6e4y8aj.jpg well the brainless anemone continues to outsmart me. The small one I wanted to stay ended up moving. I would guess it was the vibrations of the power head because it was not getting extra flow. Here is a pic of the smaller one streaking across the rock. Caught him with his pants down. The moving anemone is easy to peel off a rock. Helps to grow fingernail out to get a good start at the peel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk