Client just bought a Moorish Idol, any tips appreciated...

i know odds are effectively 0 no matter what, but has anyone had any success at all that may help me increase this poor guy's chances? The tank is a 175 bow with an Aqueon sump and is little more than a hair algae farm at this point (I just started working with these people). Thanks in advance.

We have luck getting them in small and they eat nori. I would soak nori in garlic to make it more enticing. If that doesn't work then try pretty much everything else frozen and live. If blackworms don't do it the last desperate attempt will be red finger or ball sponge. Good luck.

start feeding it zoas and other corals they like to eat and it'll do fine. keep it on nori and other things it doesn't normally eat and it'll most likely die.

part of being a responsible service tech is to recognize that certain animals should always stay in the ocean unless a tank is set up to accomodate the special needs of a particular animal.

you should pass this knowledge on to the client and request that they follow that advice.

don't let the lure of easy money kill animals needlessly.

I agree. It was my first visit to the client and they had already made the order before I even did the initial welcome visit (I didn't even know a Moorish Idol was coming until I saw it in the bag). I am afraid these people simply want what they want and now (they doubled the number of fish in their tank last Saturday with that shipment and are already asking me to bring more). I was sad just acclimating the poor thing because I know there is almost no chance for it, it has a death sentence on its head just for being beautiful.

It's not impossible. Some people have kept them alive for years.  However it doesn't sound like these people are set up to take care of a clown fish. Good luck. 

Update: It looks good so far. I was expecting an emaciated and stressed fish but he looks good so far. The client says it will eat some of the New Life Spectrum, but there are also a lot of pineapple sponges. Either way he is finding something to eat, his stomach looked good. Fingers crossed, we will see how it goes.

• 2 months later...

Alive, skimmy, but alive. I got it eating New Life Spectrum 2mm Thera+A.

However, a day or so after my visit last week it somehow started pulling air and rather than topping off or calling me he just unplugged the return pump all week. That on top of apparently someone switched the timer to outlet on so the lights have been on 24 hours a day for at least a week, and of course yesterday the idol wouldn't eat. Of course the guy can't figure out why the tank is still a hair algae farm...

Again, it's a shame I can't stop people from doing negligent things. I can only make my recommendations and do what they are willing to pay for. Their stand is literally falling apart but they are insistent on adding more fish, that's their priority. I am scared to stand behind it, but 'let's get more fish in and if you won't bring them we will order them from LiveAquaria, when can you be here to acclimate them?'.

I agree. It was my first visit to the client and they had already made the order before I even did the initial welcome visit (I didn't even know a Moorish Idol was coming until I saw it in the bag). I am afraid these people simply want what they want and now (they doubled the number of fish in their tank last Saturday with that shipment and are already asking me to bring more). I was sad just acclimating the poor thing because I know there is almost no chance for it, it has a death sentence on its head just for being beautiful.

I'm not trying to be "that guy", but you do seem to ask a lot of questions for someone that does this for a living and also seem to be unaware that your "clients" could very well be on this forum reading stuff like this. Ignorant they may be, but public shaming is probably going to result in a cancelled contract.

If I had clients like these, I'd probably recommend them to someone else. Turning down work is hard for a new business, but sometimes it has to be done in order to save yourself from future headaches and unneeded stress.

If I had clients like these, I'd probably recommend them to someone else. Turning down work is hard for a new business, but sometimes it has to be done in order to save yourself from future headaches and unneeded stress.

Yup

They are definitley pushing me in that direction. I am hoping it is just an issue of them actually getting it and getting more realistic expectations (you can't turn around a tank with giant chunks of hair algae floating around in it overnight, especially when you don't tell me you turned off the filter for a week). If it continues this way that may be exactly what happens.

I'm not trying to be "that guy", but you do seem to ask a lot of questions for someone that does this for a living and also seem to be unaware that your "clients" could very well be on this forum reading stuff like this. Ignorant they may be, but public shaming is probably going to result in a cancelled contract.

Sounds like maybe a public shaming is exactly what these people need. Maybe it'll get them to actually realize that an aquarium isn't just a pretty picture with fancy moving fish. To me, it's the same as buying a cute cuddly puppy, putting it in a cage with minimal food and watching it die for a few months. And when it dies? Oh, replace it! There are plenty more online!

Anyhow, glad to hear it's eating something...

I don't know.. Perhaps a cancellation of their contract is exactly what's needed. Sorry bud, I know that's bad for ya, but a bad reputation from someone basically killing everything and then blaming the maintenance guy will be worse.

or when the maintenance guy knocks the tank over while working on it because the stand is so rickety and dangerous. If the stand collapsed and you were hurt, how much could you stand to lose due to injury?

or when the maintenance guy knocks the tank over while working on it because the stand is so rickety and dangerous. If the stand collapsed and you were hurt, how much could you stand to lose due to injury?

That would bring up the topic of "do you have General LIability Insurance for your company" if that happens and they sue you? If the client has a nice house I imagine a couple hundred gallons of water on the floor and dripping through the ceiling (not sure what floor it is on) would entail a nice remodel.  I am sure they will say it is your fault. Might want to video tape the setup and commentary on the condition of the stand.

Sounds like maybe a public shaming is exactly what these people need. Maybe it'll get them to actually realize that an aquarium isn't just a pretty picture with fancy moving fish. To me, it's the same as buying a cute cuddly puppy, putting it in a cage with minimal food and watching it die for a few months. And when it dies? Oh, replace it! There are plenty more online!

Anyhow, glad to hear it's eating something...

I don't know.. Perhaps a cancellation of their contract is exactly what's needed. Sorry bud, I know that's bad for ya, but a bad reputation from someone basically killing everything and then blaming the maintenance guy will be worse.

I think education is needed here...if the customer doesn't get the point that the pets in the tank can have a longer life than a dog...and need the same if not better care...obviously they are willing to do something if they are hiring someone to 'help' with maintenance...

That would bring up the topic of "do you have General LIability Insurance for your company" if that happens and they sue you? If the client has a nice house I imagine a couple hundred gallons of water on the floor and dripping through the ceiling (not sure what floor it is on) would entail a nice remodel.  I am sure they will say it is your fault. Might want to video tape the setup and commentary on the condition of the stand.

Note: This is my advice broadly and not as an attorney.

I would make a note of the condition of the stand, that it poses a hazard to people, the fish, and to the building, and that you recommend replacement.  Have them sign the document.  This is just a CYA method.  It will hopefully also stress to the clients how bad the stand really is.