Compatibility

blueribbon

(edited)

Do you think a golden head sleeper goby (or a diamond goby) would get along with a lawn mower blenny, which is somewhat a bully to smaller long body fish.  (I have a 38 gal nano with 1 1/2" deep sand bed.)

Edited by Coral Hind
title correction and deleted WTB request

Hello was nice meeting you and the pump is doing well I saw your thread and the gentleman I introduced you to name is Marcos and his name here on wamas is monkiboy I am sure he would be glad to answer your question and probably hook you up with a good quality fish at a good price just remind him that you met him at the petco with Fred

Hope you get the answers you are looking for and find your fish.

Fred

I would say it is a gamble to try to mix them in a small tank. The lawnmower can be aggressive to other fish of the same body type. Heck, my 3" lawnmower blenny bites my 12" tang and chases him away from the rocks all the time.

Also, asking to buy livestock is not allowed in this section so I'm going to remove that part of your post. Please post something in the member's only for sale and WTB area.

My Lawnmower was not a fan of my Sleeper Goby. Tormented him constantly, so the Lawnmower was given away. No more stress in my 34g now.

That said, I added a Bicolor Blenny, to my 34g and the two are absolutely fine together. I see much less aggression from the smaller Blennies than I do from the larger ones. My Starry Blenny rules my 75g.

It's hit or miss with them getting along.

My diamond lives under a rock with 2 firefish and 2 blue gudgeons. My bicolor blenny lives above them in a hole. He can be a jerk at times though.

I love my diamond but he's a real mess. My water is never clear as he lives to spew mouthfuls of sand everywhere. Drives me insane but he is so fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both. Well. I have a golden head sleeper goby and a blenny. Of which type of blenny he is, that's still up for debate. Could be starry or perhaps a mix of starry and lawnmower which is probably not possible but it's the only thing that makes sense.

Anyhow, I digress. They are completely fine and except for very occasional aggression from the goby when the blenny decides to perch on the rock that's the top of his cave.. No issues.

However they do have a 210 gallon tank to live in.

If I could do it again, I'd pass on the goby. The constant sand on top of all rocks is extremely annoying.

Also, that goby will grow very quickly. And it needs a TON of sandbed area to be able to live well. Mine started off at ~2 inches about 5 months ago and now he's easily 4" long.

And I didn't see that you were looking at a diamond goby as well. Id get that over sleeper goby. However, make sure to cover your tank as it will jump. Not might, will. They really love the carpet surfing. Also, no sand on top of all rocks since they are nice about it and don't take huge mouthfuls of it and then swim to the top of the water column to dump it.

i have a orange spotted goby, bi-color blenny and lawnmower in my 220 and have no issues with them at all (probably because of the extra room) i see no aggressions toward each other even when they cross paths.