Food For Soft Corals

blueribbon

What is a good commercial food for soft corals?  38 gal cube with 5 fish, snails, shrimp, sea fans - and 8 or 9 frags of soft coral.

(edited)

I've seen substantial growth in my corals after feeding.

which corals and what are you feeding?I have many soft corals such as leathers that I have never fed and grow very well in my tank, so please let all of us know...that is what this thread is for......

Edited by smallreef

Light

+1

I occasionally feed my LPS some small bits of shrimp, but only those that have mouth openings large enough to accommodate the food. Otherwise, my softies get what they need from light, and dissolved nutrients in the water column. 

The rule of thumb is to feed the photosynthetic Cnidarian based on the size of its mouth (e.g. Larger LPS like lobophyllia will benefit from target feeding.) 

With that in mind, most corals absorb their supplemental nutrition from the water. In nature, that can eat microplankton, but that's not readily available in our tanks.

Most tanks do fine with just the fish poop and dissolved nutrients that come from fish food.

If you do want to feed your coral because you want faster growth or maybe more color, I suggest a suspension food, like Marine Snow or Red Sea's Reef Energy, but every company makes a variant. I'm using Red Sea currently because when I add it, I observe significant polyp extension -- which is visually appealing. 

If you broadcast feed your coral keep a close eye on your N's and P's and adjust the feeding accordingly.

I feed my Paly's Mysis, Brine and Coral frenzy, they seem to be doing great, I had 4 heads this time last year I have 75+ heads now

(edited)

If you had the inclination, you could grow rotifers in a bucket or tub, enrich them for a few hours, then dump them in your tank.  Rotifers are very weak swimmers and are easily caught by most soft coral polyps.  Depending on what you use to enrich them, they would add a lot of protein and vegetable fats.  Live foods cause fewer water quality problems than the dosing dead food particles in your water.

However you need to handle your water flow in a different manner than a standard water pump and skimmer.  Many people turn off the pump and skimmer at night for a few hours for the polyps to feed.

An out of the box solution would be find an alternative water movement device to the standard 1700 rpm pumps so you could always have live plankton for the polyps.  This is very hard to do, which is why almost everyone in the hobby uses high speed water pumps and skimmers.  Walter Adey wrote a book 20 years ago about using a piston pump that did not damage live plankton and has pictures in his book.  You could also use types of water displacement devices.   There is no easy, standard or cheap solution to keeping lots of live plankton in your water and also circulating the water adequately.  

Edited by dave w