Months in my worm culture

YHSublime

So I picked up a "worm pack" from Mr. Tang, which consisted of dirt, and white worms. Keep moist, feed (i do crackers soaked in selcon) and wait 3 months to see some growth. Not a big deal, tossed it in under my sump. I don't keep it covered, and I keep the dirt moistened with RO water, however, there are moths that crawl all over it. Whenever I take it to moisten, moths fly out everywhere! Can I cover it? Should I worry? The months are really tiny.

Funny i was going to post almost identical. I have mine covered with top with holes...but i seem to be growing tiny black fly/mouth things too

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Funny i was going to post almost identical. I have mine covered with top with holes...but i seem to be growing tiny black fly/mouth things too

Yeah, I've been meaning to figure it out. I was thinking of using something like a cheese cloth over top so it could still breathe. Glad it's not just me.

Me too.

Any worries, or just living your life as usual?

Flood the entire thing.  Any bugs will float and you can pour them off.  Then put the soil in a strainer or net and drain out all the water.  If you can spread out the soil and worms on like a baking sheet (but not one of mine) and let it dry to the consistence that you want.  The worms enjoy the bath and don't mind being underwater.  You can also get rid of gnats and Godzilla fry the same way.

Flood the entire thing. Any bugs will float and you can pour them off. Then put the soil in a strainer or net and drain out all the water. If you can spread out the soil and worms on like a baking sheet (but not one of mine) and let it dry to the consistence that you want. The worms enjoy the bath and don't mind being underwater. You can also get rid of gnats and Godzilla fry the same way.

Excellent info.