Who copies DVD's

dbartco

looking for a local source that could copy the Macna dvd's. I have no problem compying the wmv files, but need some way of doing the DVD-R portion. (7 disk set)

Please PM me if you have info.

I have a computer with a DVD burner...haven't tried using it yet...

Are you looking for a single copy?  or multiple?

51417[/snapback]

i can do it

How long does it take to copy a disk to computer? Computer back to disk? What is the write time for 1 disk?

multiply that times 7 for one set.

multiply that times the number of sets we sold.

I think that is a lot of time, and can be done that way, but would rather do multiple copies at a time.

it takes anywhere to 1-2hours depending on the length.

Guest clownfish4

I can usually encode in 30 minutes or so and burn in less than 5. So I would have to encode each disc once and then I can burn as many copies of that one disc as I want without having to encode again. So I could probably do 6 copies of one disc in an hour.

How long does it take to copy a disk to computer? Computer back to disk? What is the write time for 1 disk?

multiply that times 7 for one set.

multiply that times the number of sets we sold.

I think that is a lot of time, and can be done that way, but would rather do multiple copies at a time.

51431[/snapback]

My setup take roughly an hour, plus I can do Dual Layer which means if your DVD is more than 4gb in size I can put in on one disc without compressing the data. Compression degrates the screen resolution.

looking for a local source that could copy the Macna dvd's. I have no problem compying the wmv files, but need some way of doing the DVD-R portion. (7 disk set)

Please PM me if you have info.

51416[/snapback]

There are a number of dubbing companies in the area offering duplication/replication, etc. I have yet to use this one and they may be overkill, but I don't know the quantity we are discussing:

http://www.dp-cd.com/index.html

As soon as you get past 30-50 DVD's it is typically cheaper, not to mention faster to use a service.

Fwiw: given the nature of my job, I burn huge numbers of DVD's, upgrade my burner(s) every year, burn multiple copies simultaneously, and when I need to make 20+ copies, out source the duplication to save time and money.

Hope that helps.

I can usually encode in 30 minutes or so and burn in less than 5.  So I would have to encode each disc once and then I can burn as many copies of that one disc as I want without having to encode again.  So I could probably do 6 copies of one disc in an hour.

51437[/snapback]

You can burn 6 hours of DVD video in 5 min? Are you sure about this?

Yes 6 hours each X 7 discs. Thanks to the rest, I will check them out. Others, keep them coming?

Guest clownfish4
You can burn 6 hours of DVD video in 5 min? Are you sure about this?

Yes 6 hours each X 7 discs. Thanks to the rest, I will check them out. Others, keep them coming?

51459[/snapback]

If its still less than 4.7 gigs, which it should be, it should still burn in the same amount of time.

Doug,

Just a few comments. I would definitely farm it out to a "duplicator" of some sort. I know a guy who works part time at a place that does this sort of thing. I will ask him about it tomorrow if I can get ahold of him. Doing several disc sets would require a lot of leg work for a home burner. I have four PC's with DVD burners... but it would be a time consuming process to say the least.

Speed depends on the media, drive speed and what you are burning... so I'm not sure how long it would take per disc. My fastest DVD writers are 16x, with 16x media it takes ~6 minutes to write a full single layer disc(4.7GB).

Secondly, are you going for true DVD discs? If so, you need to have the wmv files encoded to MPEG-2. Then you can make a disc with chapters, menu, chapters... all the fun stuff DVDs offer.

A couple of reasons to do this is for ease of use. If people watch them on their PC, they should be able to watch the wmv files. On the other hand, not all DVD players will do this. Having said that, some DVD players may not play DVD-R/DVD+R or will play one format and not the other. More players are compatible with DVD-R (>90%) as opposed to DVD+R (<90%).

I would also make sure whomever uses good media. Junk media is prone to more errors out of the box and subject to poor life. Personally I would make sure the discs are Taiyo Yuden or discs produced in Japan. The exception to this "rule" would be TDK and Mitsubishi who have good quality discs being made in Taiwan. Here is where I buy my media: http://www.dvd-rwmedia.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd...ia-section.html

In addition to being the honorary webmaster for my the cheerleading organization one of my daugthers is with, I may have duplicated a few cheer discs. I can thank my lovely wife for volunteering me for both of those tasks. ;)

thanks dave, see what you can find out.

we do have them already in both formats, dvd-r and wmv. I can copy the wmv. the DVD does have chapters for each speaker.

Just a quick question - would any of these DVDs have copyright protection and if so, who would own it?

Edited by Biodork

Doug,

I was off a bit... they burn CDs and DVDs, but the primary function of the firm is data entry, scanning of docs for companies and then putting them on optical media. They do not duplicate discs, but I know there are firms that do this.... I just don't know of any specific ones.

Just a quick question - would any of these DVDs have copyright protection and if so, who would own it?

51545[/snapback]

we own it. need to discuss protection with them

A company we've used to produce video is The Cre8tive Group. They aren't local, but they do some very very nice stuff, and can do all the fancy DVD hijinks you'd want. I don't know their pricing (I'm privy to it but I've just never looked).

we own it. need to discuss protection with them

51590[/snapback]