adding LED T5

moga

I have ATI 24x8 powermodule , and thinking to add led like (kessil or some LED bulb for accent).

what would you recommend?

I am not moving into LED. I decided to go with T5.(just like the color and growth).

just accent light~.. not for whole thing..

thanks.~

Exotic stunner strip LEDs? Talk to Kamajaya, she has them with t5s I believe.

Trouble is with 8 T5 bulbs you'll have a hard time getting any shimmer back into the tank.

A Reefbrite strip would work, and they mount right onto your ATI fixture very easily.

(edited)

I have a reefbite tech (half as powerful as reefbrite XO). I get my favorite color with one B+, one C+, and the reefbrite...all the same 36" length. I run four t5 bulbs, but drop to two with the reefbrite mid-evening when I'm most likely to be staring at the tank

note, I don't really see much shimmer...but the color is fantastic

Edited by matt

I use ecoxotic panorama on my 150 and they add a lot of pop to my tank. The shimmer is slightly there but I use it more to make my colors pop. 

I currently have 3 460 nm blues and 2 red and blues. The reds bring out orange, yellow, purple, and reds in my tank. 

I'll take some pictures and post them up.

Just actinics

20131012_195100_zps516809da.jpg

Actinics + LED

20131012_195034_zps18fb7bea.jpg

All except led on

20131012_194937_zps3276c11e.jpg

All including led

20131012_194923_zpsae4e17d5.jpg

Since then I have reaquascaped my tank attached the leds to actual fixture and have decluttered the sand bed.

Send to NanoBox and have Dave retro fit LEDs.

Gut the middle two bulbs and add the LEDs

Send to NanoBox and have Dave retro fit LEDs.

Gut the middle two bulbs and add the LEDs

I'm starting to wonder if you're getting a commission from NanoBox, Brad.

(edited)

Just looking out for people to make sure they go with the best.

13B30417-5BDA-4FD6-A49C-33EE45973C2E_zps

Edited by brad908

Forget the reefbrite strip maybe I should get nanobox to hook me up :)

Forget the reefbrite strip maybe I should get nanobox to hook me up :)

It's kind of a waste though to order a 6 bulb and only use 4.  You could have just ordered a 4 bulb and added the reefbrite's...

It's kind of a waste though to order a 6 bulb and only use 4. You could have just ordered a 4 bulb and added the reefbrite's...

That's true. Have to see how it all looks with just T5s first.

It's kind of a waste though to order a 6 bulb and only use 4.  You could have just ordered a 4 bulb and added the reefbrite's...

thats why you order the 8 and only use 6 :)

(edited)

That is why I wanted OLD Reefer's AI Sols to MOD my Giesmann 6ft light. Althought MH/T5 is still king!!! IMHO

8540948648_0ceef5f6d3_c.jpg

Edited by DCReefer1964

That's true. Have to see how it all looks with just T5s first.

That is why you buy used. With just t5s you will like the color and growth but you will miss the shimmer.

(edited)

I've always wanted the giesemann, just never could find a decent deal.

Until 30 seconds ago, someone posted a 24" locally. hmmmmm

"250watt with 4 24watt T5's, 24" fixture, black. the sides have been retrofitted with 24 royal blue 3 watt LED's. LED's are driven by a single meanwell driver and dimmed with a potentiometer knob mounted on the fixture.
-250w MH, not sure how old the bulb is. It works but I've never used it since I got this light.
-2 ATI blue+(4 months old)
-2 ATI Aquablue(4 months old)
-24x royal blue cree 3 watt LED's retrofitted mar 2011. 60 degree optics. dual heatsinks, dual 60mm fans blowing on the sides of the fixture, capped with abs black sheets."

Edited by brad908

I've always wanted the giesemann, just never could find a decent deal.

Until 30 seconds ago, someone posted a 24" locally. hmmmmm

"250watt with 4 24watt T5's, 24" fixture, black. the sides have been retrofitted with 24 royal blue 3 watt LED's. LED's are driven by a single meanwell driver and dimmed with a potentiometer knob mounted on the fixture.

-250w MH, not sure how old the bulb is. It works but I've never used it since I got this light.

-2 ATI blue+(4 months old)

-2 ATI Aquablue(4 months old)

-24x royal blue cree 3 watt LED's retrofitted mar 2011. 60 degree optics. dual heatsinks, dual 60mm fans blowing on the sides of the fixture, capped with abs black sheets."

Sweet !!!!

I just switched my t5 fixture to mh t5 combo. I did this because the direction my tank is heading, I dont think 12 t5s Would do what MH can do. Sure t5's will color up and grow but mh will definitely bring out the true potential. I'll still be adding tmy led strips and be tweaking the fixture as it goes.

Edited by kjamaya