Refugium light

cbatkinson

Anyone have any suggestions for a good refugium light? I know some are using LED's while others use CFL's or something else. Are there pros or cons on these bulbs? Anyone have great success with one over the other?

Depends on what you want to keep in there. I have a 5100k fluorescent spotlight from Lowes dangling over both of mine since all I have is some chaeto.

+1

If you are growing algae then any light will do. The more wattage the more algae growth. If your sump if enclosed in a cabinet then consider the heat output when making your choice. Compact fluorescent or LEDs are nice for enclosed sumps because there is less heat than an incandescent. 

I use a reg CFL bulb, I tried some cheap Ebay led bulbs E27's I think tried white/blue and Red/blue but they did not give me good results. I have now switched back to a regular CFL. I have cheato/culpera

I think many people underestimate the strong light and flow needed to grow cheato. I've seen cheato atrophy from not enough light. I prefer strong light for maximum cheato growth. I have no skimmer or phosphate reactor and right now my tank is too clean. My snails are dying because there is not enough algae for them to eat. I use two bulbs in case one goes out while I am away. One is a 48 watt CPL and the other is s 5100K. I like at least 200gph thru my fuge.

• 2 weeks later...

I think many people underestimate the strong light and flow needed to grow cheato. I've seen cheato atrophy from not enough light. I prefer strong light for maximum cheato growth. I have no skimmer or phosphate reactor and right now my tank is too clean. My snails are dying because there is not enough algae for them to eat. I use two bulbs in case one goes out while I am away. One is a 48 watt CPL and the other is s 5100K. I like at least 200gph thru my fuge.

I'm not entirely sold on this regarding flow. While I don't keep my chaeto in a stagnant pond, I also grow it in three tanks, with each being in pretty low flow. My biocube 14 has it in a media basket which I half every couple weeks to a month. I keep I in my sump under my aquac 180ev skimmer, which is packed, and the easy to remove stuff from the biocube goes into my Red Sea max 130 display, where it is quite "full". I can absolutely guarantee there is no "tumbling" that people say it "needs" to grow, and is in fact pretty calm.

I'm not entirely sold on this regarding flow. While I don't keep my chaeto in a stagnant pond, I also grow it in three tanks, with each being in pretty low flow. My biocube 14 has it in a media basket which I half every couple weeks to a month. I keep I in my sump under my aquac 180ev skimmer, which is packed, and the easy to remove stuff from the biocube goes into my Red Sea max 130 display, where it is quite "full". I can absolutely guarantee there is no "tumbling" that people say it "needs" to grow, and is in fact pretty calm.

I've tried moderate flow on my cheato and everytime 'trates start rising.

Would this be enough light for growing cheato? It says that the light output is 5500-6000k. Not sure how reliable the company is though.

Link

Would this be enough light for growing cheato? It says that the light output is 5500-6000k. Not sure how reliable the company is though.

Link

the numbers you reference are in regards to the kelvin temperature (k) or color temperature. ideally for macro algaes you want to stick with lower color temperatures 3500-4500k and 630-660nm wavelength (seen as red LEDs) as that is in the range where plants receive the most from the light.

based on the link you provided, i don't think that it is suitable choice as not only is not the ideal wavelength/spectrum, the intensity provided is not sufficient for optimal macro growth.

Edited by monkiboy

Lowe's has led potlight replacement leds that are low cri...and some are dimmable...and some are rated for "wet" locations. I've toyed with using one, but haven't yet

I see now. I though the color temperatures had to be at least 6000k-6500k. Good thing I asked before buying :)

I am looking for a submersible LED to put in the back of my AIO. If anyone has any recommendations let me know.

How about this one? Link

Edited by st9z

I see now. I though the color temperatures had to be at least 6000k-6500k. Good thing I asked before buying :)

I am looking for a submersible LED to put in the back of my AIO. If anyone has any recommendations let me know.

How about this one? Link

I use that light as accent lighting in my rsm. I doubt it can have any use for chaeto.

I use that light as accent lighting in my rsm. I doubt it can have any use for chaeto.

Thanks for the info. I think I found the perfect alternative... SteveT inTank 10w single LED. Hopefully it lives up to all the good review.

Thanks for the info. I think I found the perfect alternative... SteveT inTank 10w single LED. Hopefully it lives up to all the good review.

I was thinking about that for my RSM too as I can't use a outside mount LED through the back glass as it's tinted. My only concern is the possibility for stray current/shock if the bulb breaks/leaks. There are a number of people who have complained of that happening in reviews of those lights. I assume that it's a small percentage, but the risk is still there.