FRAG SAW- Could WAMAS buy one and rent out?

DuffyGeos

So the question is in the title. Does WAMAS have one?

I don't think so, just the PAR meter. Is there anything else I am missing?

What would be the chances of WAMAS buying a nice frag saw: Gryphon C-40 Band Saw $340+/-

and renting it out by the day or two days?

I think I would be willing to pay $10-$20 for a day or two, more expensive on weekends, cheaper on weekdays, 48 hr limit+/-, or a $30-$50 fine+/-, check or credit card deposit for $500+/- - thing like that.

I would not be suprised if that thing would be booked a month in advance making $250- $300 per month. It would cover the cost in 2 months, factoring in blade purchases.

Then we buy a second one to keep the back log down if it really takes off.

You can keep it at my house when not in use;)

WAMAS does not have a frag saw and does not, at this time, have plans to buy one. The officers could look into it. But there would be a lot of things to consider, including liability and insurance, as well as how to make it available equitably across our geographically spread membership.

We do have a single loaner PAR Meter these days (down from a high of three at one time). We also have high quality suction cups (for tank moves) for rent. We have a pinned post somewhere detailing the product and rental rates.

I agree that there would have to be paper work to sign, just like at a rental company for liability reasons. Maybe one option would be to talk to a rental company to see if they would will to buy one and rent it out with a commitment from WAMAS members - (members would have to sign something that you will commit to renting it) within a certain time frame so they know they could double their money in a couple months.

If you want to bring your corals up your welcome to cut as much as you want using mine. Also if your looking to buy one call up the stained glass company in Frederick MD. They sell them about $65 less than anyone online as it is a "coral saw" when sold by anyone I'm the hobby but its actually for stained glass and same exact saw for less $

If you want to bring your corals up your welcome to cut as much as you want using mine. Also if your looking to buy one call up the stained glass company in Frederick MD. They sell them about $65 less than anyone online as it is a "coral saw" when sold by anyone I'm the hobby but its actually for stained glass and same exact saw for less $

Thanks for that tip, Richard (and the offer).

Thanks for the offer and the info on buying one. Maybe some of the shops could look into buying and renting them. Might be worth it. Don't thing you are going to want everyone occupying your shop cutting their own corals.

Maybe we could start a survey of what someone would be willing to pay for rent and how many people would think they would do it and how often.

Lol Rob!

I don't have any corals that would need a saw...mostly either bone cutters or a scalpel work for 75% of corals...it's those darn acans and such ....

Just a couple of pennies of thoughts.

I'm sure there are many coral proprietors like Richard who would chop your corals for you. Alternatively, you could rent a band saw from a hardware store, buy a nice band blade, and throw a beer, BBQ, fish and chips, and chop party.

FWIW a diamond ceramic blade on a rotary tool does a fantastic job on small to medium corals if you have a steady hand.

Lol Rob!

I don't have any corals that would need a saw...mostly either bone cutters or a scalpel work for 75% of corals...it's those darn acans and such ....

Yea the Acans and the Chalices if you are trying to cut eyes apart. So I asked a question and I got an answer, that is what I was looking for.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Just a couple of pennies of thoughts.

I'm sure there are many coral proprietors like Richard who would chop your corals for you. Alternatively, you could rent a band saw from a hardware store, buy a nice band blade, and throw a beer, BBQ, fish and chips, and chop party.

FWIW a diamond ceramic blade on a rotary tool does a fantastic job on small to medium corals if you have a steady hand.

I have a Dremel, and I have a tile saw. I just thought it might be easier with a saw that could cut curves instead of a straight line.  Thanks you for your response.

Thanks guys for your responses.

My question has been answered, there is really no interest in this and would be a liability for the club.

Thanks for you input.

WAMAS does not have a frag saw and does not, at this time, have plans to buy one. The officers could look into it. But there would be a lot of things to consider, including liability and insurance, as well as how to make it available equitably across our geographically spread membership.

That would be one of my big questions, especially given what could go wrong.

Also the PAR meter - that's pretty much a non-starter.

I think it was a good question.  I wasn't here a few years ago when the bandsaw craze was evidently higher, but I'd think there would be demand for a bandsaw now.  I don't need one now, but could in a year or two.  From the bandsaws I've seen, they typically have a carborendum blade that is very hard to cut your finger off.  But I understand that low liability may still be too much liability for the club.

I've never tried this but at $90 it is much cheaper, and looks like it might do the job if you not doing high volume like a shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MS20-01-Moto-Saw-Variable-Compact/dp/B00AFELU6O

The saw that's referenced in the first post is a wet lapidary bandsaw. It's meant to cut wet and has a water reservoir that the saw runs through to keep the blade cool. WAMAS has a tile saw that we use at FragFest, but not a bandsaw.

The saw that's referenced in the first post is a wet lapidary bandsaw. It's meant to cut wet and has a water reservoir that the saw runs through to keep the blade cool. WAMAS has a tile saw that we use at FragFest, but not a bandsaw.

Tom,

Thanks for looking around. I have seen this saw along with others in the $90-$150 range and some look OK. My main concern is that the motors are below the cutting surface, so saltwater would drip down on them. Not a big fan of mixing saltwater and electricity.  I have a wet tile saw, a Dremel tool, and a RotoZip tool, so I may be just fine. I was just looking at what seemed to be the best solution.

Thanks,

Ken

Tom,

Thanks for looking around. I have seen this saw along with others in the $90-$150 range and some look OK. My main concern is that the motors are below the cutting surface, so saltwater would drip down on them. Not a big fan of mixing saltwater and electricity.  I have a wet tile saw, a Dremel tool, and a RotoZip tool, so I may be just fine. I was just looking at what seemed to be the best solution.

Thanks,

Ken

I wasn't real clear in my response since I quoted the last post (which identified a scroll saw) but referenced the Gryphon (the lapidary saw that I was talking about) from your first post in my post.  Sorry about that.

I wasn't real clear in my response since I quoted the last post (which identified a scroll saw) but referenced the Gryphon (the lapidary saw that I was talking about) from your first post in my post.  Sorry about that.

no problem.