Killing LR with brown polyps - Advice?

darkcirca

It's been months and I am finally getting around to getting that giant rock out of my tank that has brown polyps on it. You know, that one that (I believe) has made me sick time and time again. I swear, if I put my hands in my tank I wind up feeling like crap the entire rest of the day, if not longer. If I mess with the polyps, I get flu like symptoms.

My husband has agreed to pull the rock in the next week, as one of our ballast kicked the bucket on our T5 (AI Hydras are on order now). I want to kill the entire rock. It's a huge rock, which is why I haven't been able to get it out on my own. I don't want to trade it as I don't think I will get anything close to it in size. I love the rock.

So bleaching it was my original thought, but I wasn't sure how to go about doing this.

Would anyone like to give some advice? I know to not to boil it.

Step one is getting the rock out, maybe tonight if I can coax him into it. We have to get the blenny and firefish out from it since they call it home right now.

I would just sell it instead.  I know that you said you won't get value for it, but depending on how big it is you might find some dry rock that is equivalent to it.  Heck, list it on RC or Craig's List and get someone to pay 2x the price and buy yourself a few extra rocks instead!

On the flip side, you could always get something that will eat it, although per Murphy's law you'll probably find something that will eat everything you don't want it to eat first.

In terms of bleach, stick it outside and pour in the bleach.  It'll break down organics and after a few days, you'll have a nice white rock...  I can't remember what the mixing ratio is but you can find it online for disinfection purposes.  Depending on what you use (granules are much stronger and more effective than liquid) you'll have different ratios.

Just as an FYI, I bought a 6 gallon bucket of bleach granules from a pool supply store for around $40-$50 and we disinfected every single tank and piece of equipment at NADC with it and still had well over 1/2 a bucket left.

I would just sell it instead.  I know that you said you won't get value for it, but depending on how big it is you might find some dry rock that is equivalent to it.  Heck, list it on RC or Craig's List and get someone to pay 2x the price and buy yourself a few extra rocks instead!

On the flip side, you could always get something that will eat it, although per Murphy's law you'll probably find something that will eat everything you don't want it to eat first.

The problem is finding another rock this large. It's a hefty rock. You can see it on my post from the fall: 

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/61657-advice-where-to-go-from-here-neglected-tank/?p=542015

It's the far right rock.

I love the rock, and would want to keep it, just get rid of whatever is on it. It's full of all sorts of things... it's been in that tank for awhile. It has GSP, mushrooms, those brown polyps, colt (or kenya.. honestly I can't tell the difference) and god knows what else growing on the back of it. I'd love to see it ALL gone. If I could find someone with that big of a rock I'd totally consider selling it. I traded a bunch of rock on the left side already and was planning to trade this guy but I couldn't lift him on my own at the time.

I've got a Foxface coming in tomorrow. Maybe it will decide they look tasty... I'm thanking my lucky stars I only order fish/cleaners since I'm only running 3 T5 lights until next weeks order comes in. I ordered the livestock then that night I found the ballast went bad. I couldn't believe my bad luck.

Sounds like what I like to call Outlaw Palys after our own Steve Outlaw and his experience with them. I've been taken down by then, too. The flu like symptoms hit you a few hours after exposure and you get hit with chills and shaking that doesn't subside for hours of you don't had into an emergency room.

Glove up and retrieve the rock. Put it in a tub of bleach for a few hours or days. Dry the rock out if you can. I've done all this and even pressure washed off the carcasses later. If they've spread, kill them as you see them. If you're going to handle them much, get a face shield and an organic (pesticide) respirator in addition to the gloves. The last time I handled a lot of rock with these I used all that and did not suffer symptoms. Good luck.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Sounds like what I like to call Outlaw Palys after our own Steve Outlaw and his experience with them. I've been taken down by then, too. The flu like symptoms hit you a few hours after exposure and you get hit with chills and shaking that doesn't subside for hours of you don't had into an emergency room.

Glove up and retrieve the rock. Put it in a tub of bleach for a few hours or days. Dry the rock out if you can. I've done all this and even pressure washed off the carcasses later. If they've spread, kill them as you see them. If you're going to handle them much, get a face shield and an organic (pesticide) respirator in addition to the gloves. The last time I handled a lot of rock with these I used all that and did not suffer symptoms. Good luck.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Yes, I think we came to this conclusion before, but I never validated the best approach to them. I'm over getting sick from the tank, plus I have a 1 year old and I don't want him at risk.

Anyone know the bleach ratio? I'll do a little searching once I get into the office today but figured it didn't hurt to ask.

I'd be open to trading it if I could find a piece as big as it. This thing is around 18" tall, which I love in the 90 gallon depth.

It almost doesn't matter. I go overboard probably and put in 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. But that's probably as much for emotional as scientific reasons, since I've suffered their wrath three times over the years. I want them gone and, to the best extent possible, to oxidize any organic palytoxin (I'm assuming that bleach will effectively degrade the toxin, but have no real evidence of it). I am very careful to make sure that nobody's around and to use cold water when doing this. I also make sure that the water is in a pail or some other container beforehand. I take these precautions to avoid aerosolizing any of the palytoxin to the best of my ability. Even a quarter cup in a gallon should kill very effectively.

If you start seeing them pop up here and there on the other rock in your aquarium, you may be able to just kill them off with some kalk paste while in the tank. In this case, shut off the pumps to still the water and coat them in kalk paste using a syringe or some other delivery means. Be careful to avoid other corals. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes, or even an hour.

Why use bleach and not just throw them in a bucket with muratic acid, wouldnt it be quicker?

I've got a cabinet full of bleach, but no muratic acid in the house, figured using what I got was the easier solution.

Why use bleach and not just throw them in a bucket with muratic acid, wouldnt it be quicker?

I may be effective, but it will also dissolve the rock. The dissolving rock ultimately neutralizes the acid. The rock won't do much to neutralize the bleach, but other organics will be attacked and broken down. Bleach is also a lot safer to use.

Just be careful. Remember these things are highly toxic. Use gloves, a mask and eyewear.....

Be careful about splashing or the polyps squirting, especially when they are first hit with bleach or whatever you use, and very carefully dispose of the bleach water when you are done. Don't just dump it in the yard. Does anyone know if the toxin will still be active after the bleach soak? 

Whatever, better be safe than sorry. 

I have difficulty believing that the toxin (an organic compound) would survive the oxidizing effects of the bleach, but don't have proof of that. I've bleached these out of existence many times, though.

I would advise against boiling the rock!!

I definitely remember that one, thus my thoughts on bleach.. I want it done outside the house as I don't want the possibility of the fumes inside.

It's a rock with poisonous animals on it that makes you sick when you stick your hands in the tank..... hmmm, what should I do?

How about take the rock out and bury it in the ground?

Get a new rock and grow some more corals on it.

It only takes a shovel to solve this one.

It's a rock with poisonous animals on it that makes you sick when you stick your hands in the tank..... hmmm, what should I do?

How about take the rock out and bury it in the ground?

Get a new rock and grow some more corals on it.

It only takes a shovel to solve this one.

I probably should have said I'm crazy ;)

I just love the rock... Drives me nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk