<CRACK> so much for getting back into the hobby...

ArtC

After being out of the hobby for a couple of years, I bought a used RSM 250 with chiller and LifeReef sump/skimmer from a guy at work for $750.

bought live rock, cooked it, replaced noisy fans and mounts, checked out the rest of the electronics.

Filled the tank with FW to see how the temperature ran.  Cool enough that maybe I could sell the chiller.

On the second day, water on the floor.  Back panel of the tank had cracked - in the one area that had not RSM sump behind it, but air and electrical.

So do I find a bare RSM 250, try to replace the middle panel of the tank, or part the whole thing out and buy a goldfish?

wow that stinks...I am sorry that you just experienced that.  Is it possible to just replace the glass panel?  I wouldn't think that would be too terribly expensive. I don't know enough about the all in ones to know if there is the ability to do that. 

Just wanted to say that sucks and I am feeling for you...

hopefully others with experience will chime in soon....

either way you know we are not going to let you get a goldfish!!!!!!

Sorry to heat such bad news. I'd try to find a cheap tank replacement on eBay. Your gray signature text at the bottom is seriously funny.

Buying the panel would be easy, but replacing it would require removing the RSM sump from the back. That's eight other pieces of glass!

On the other hand, because the sump is built into the back of the tank, there is water on both sides of the panel and not much force on it.  Maybe I can just glue a new panel over the old one from the fish side.

can you just remove that sump, replace the back glass and drill it and put the sump under the stand and make it a much easier to work with rather than an AIO?

I probably do have enough gear around from the old days to do everything the the AIO sump does.  

Or find somebody to build me a new tank with the same dimensions.  

I see I'm starting to readjust to the hobby's spending logic.

welcome back...spending money around here is like riding a bike...you never forget and we have plenty of ways to ease you in.

Well said! *starts a slow clap*

Welcome back, Art. It's been a while. Sorry for the RSM headache. Have you tried calling or emailing their customer support? I like the idea of just fusing a new piece of acrylic over the old if that will solve the problem, but what if the crack is in a seam? Will you be able to seal it?

Just replace the back panei. It can be done and I would be happy to assist. Let me research the design and get back with you .

The complicated part is that I've managed to get a leak on the inside of my tank

which will call for either a simple but risky repair or a complex but risky one.  :unsure:

All ideas welcome!

gallery_317_218_40991.jpg

That's quite a crack, Art.  From your drawing, it looks like the simplest option is to cement in another piece of acrylic over the span of the crack, or to replace the entire back panel.

(I just embedded the image in your post.)