Here's to trying new things

st9z

This hobby amazes me. It forces you out of your comfort zone, and makes you try things you never thought you could do. I for one, am not a handy person at all. Any little thing that goes wrong at the house, I would be quick to call someone to come fix it. Yesterday I received my lighting rails and mounting kit. At first glance I was already intimidated. Even more so after reading the instructions and watching the videos. But I thought what the heck, I got the Apex running, why not give this thing a whirl. So I made my supply list and brave a trip out to Home Depot. After endless minutes staring at the nails/screws section, I found everything I needed.  I came home and started drilling the necessary 4 out of 8 holes, then the power tool died :/ Woke up the next day, drilled some more and screwed in the pieces.  Voilà, the tank has lights! Small accomplishments that make you smile.

Cheers,

Niki 

IMG_0224.jpg

Thanks guy. The tank is coming along great, but I am not 100% convinced on the aquascape yet. It still looks "funny" to me.

I like it. Congrats. Tell us more about what kind of lights those are?

Nice job. Sometimes you can surprise yourself at what you can accomplish if you just dive in and get yours hands wet.

Have you considered mounting the lights in the other direction to get more coverage the long way?  Might help get rid of the dark spots in the middle and on the edges.

I like it. Congrats. Tell us more about what kind of lights those are?

Thank you, they are Aqua Illumination Vega color. I highly recommend them. They are very easy to setup and controllable through the web-base or mobile devices.

Nice job. Sometimes you can surprise yourself at what you can accomplish if you just dive in and get yours hands wet.

Have you considered mounting the lights in the other direction to get more coverage the long way?  Might help get rid of the dark spots in the middle and on the edges.

Initially I tried mounting the lights the other way, but the stand layout would not allow it. I have one more Vega left and may mount it in the middle to remove the dead spot. Although, I kinda like the dead spot. It gives it a nice shadow effect. 

You're right, this hobby always has something new and different.  I am a tinkerer by nature but am amazed that every six months some idea catches on and gets widely adopted.  The hobby is evolving very rapidly because of the internet.

Well, as long as you "techniclly" dont "break" anything, I always say go for it.  Worst that can happen when you get stuck is you have to call someone.  Glad to see "you" got her going, thats one more personal nail in the fish building coffin and feels goooooood, congrats.

Dont worry about the aquascape, it will drive you basically crazy forever.  There are too many options which all (okay, most) look great.  Hopefully you will find one you like a deal with it.  I want to change my tank around everytime I change it.  I just finally had to sit on my hands.

Too true. I knew nothing about plumbing, electrical wiring, lights that need ballasts or programming really before starting this hobby. First time I walked into a store looking for PVC I was a good bit worried. And spent hours in there. Now I can walk in and throw a bunch of stuff in a bucket and walk out in minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too true. I knew nothing about plumbing, electrical wiring, lights that need ballasts or programming really before starting this hobby. First time I walked into a store looking for PVC I was a good bit worried. And spent hours in there. Now I can walk in and throw a bunch of stuff in a bucket and walk out in minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope someday I can do that with Home Depot as well. It would make life easier than tracking someone down for help.