Hello from Woodbridge

Heya all, 

Long time reader,.. never really posted but subscriped for a membership, as I have learned a lot on this site and attended the Petland Event, just recently. 

Would not mind pow-wow'ing with others close to and or in Woodbridge, Va

A little about myself... 

I work from home for a Chicago based company ( have to love Information technology).. and have a lot of time on my hands to watch and notice things happening in the tank. 

My 75 Gallon tank has been up for almost a year, come April.. when I dropped my dead shrimp in there to cycle it. A lot of research and searching went into building it.. but I have found that I am still looking to improve / upgrading items. Currently looking at a Water Changing Station as the buckets have gotten old... really fast. 

My Father who lives in Leesburg - has joined me in the hobby/passion and now in the process of Cycling his 2nd tank (125 gallon reef ready). He also owns a 55 Gallon that we worked on and was our test bed for my 75 and his 125. Glad we did as we have learned tons.  

Just wanted to drop a quick line and say hello. 

Wayne

Welcome! Joining WAMAS will help you continue to educate yourself, and maybe you'll teach us a thing or two!

Well.. I have learned what not to do.. I can tell you that. 

What I have learned thus far, off the top of my head. 

first Lesson = Float switches are evil and have become part of my maintenance.. drained a many bucket of top-off water in my sump. Glad I left room to hold the water. (switching to a gravity system, with float valve)

second lesson = Extend the air tube for the Protein skimmer .. away from the cup in the event the cup overflows... lack of air = failed skimmer

third lesson = Stocking order does matter (blasted Domino damsel)  

Welcome Wayne! Wish I'd bumped into you at Petland, but I'm also in Woodbridge. So is smallreef and Valeria just to name a couple more. Have to catch up at some point. Cheers!

Welcome Wayne!

Joining was the best step to take...we are a very active group here as you may have seen as a BB member, but as a full fledged member you will now have access to so much more.....there are some of the most wonderful and helpful and knowledgeable people I have met in the hobby in this group...don't hesitate to reach out as I assure you will get responses no matter what time of the day or night (we have some real non-sleepers in here for some reason LOL) You have a lot of company in Woodbridge...if you look at the map here it can help you out. 

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/47048-wamas-member-map/

feel free to add yourself to the posting and Isaac will get you up there

We have our spring meeting coming up on April 5th. Come to it and meet some of your fellow members and learn from the speaker and get some awesome corals from the vendors and buy some raffle tickets.  You will see on the fs/wtb board that people will start to really sell things right before the meetings so that it is easy to pick up.

Post up some pictures of your tank...we are a visual lot here and love to look and learn about others tanks.

Welcome aboard!!!

Welcome Wayne. I have a few for you if you like for free so we can start filling you tank, i'll pm you pics if you are interested, Im in Manassas. Also the WAMAS meet is coming up, save your money lol lots of great deals and corals for sale.

Still figuring that part out (whats in there now were random purchases, that were to good to pass on.) .. I love the way Mixed reef tanks look.. but read that they are difficult to keep.

I will say this, I do like tank movement. 

Being that the tank is still in its infancy and I am still learning and testing and tinkering ... I'm open to suggestion. 

Welcome Wayne. I have a few for you if you like for free so we can start filling you tank, i'll pm you pics if you are interested, Im in Manassas. Also the WAMAS meet is coming up, save your money lol lots of great deals and corals for sale.

Would be appreciated... PM away. 

Would like to talk about placement and flow, things of that sort. 

Pm sent

Tell us more about your set up. Skimmer, lights, sump, etc...

Edited by DBL

Welcome, we are in Woodbridge too. Looks like you have a lot of room in your tank, but don't worry with all the deals wamas has it will be filled up in no time.

What type of fish and corals are you looking at getting?

My Goal is to create a peaceful environment,

So any suggestions there would be great. I currently have the following ( 1 Domino Damsel, Blue Damsel, 1 Clown Fish, 4 Chromis) The Dominio Damsel is now starting to show its colors as it took out one of my Chromis..So i am Donating him to my dad's 55 Gallon, if the Blue one does the same.. he will find himself in the same home.

As far Coral are concerned..I have been all over the place with this. I have mostly been focused on the Easy ones (Polyps, Mushrooms, leathers) but picked up a Hammer and Torch from Petland from the recent event. 

I believe that I am headed into the mixed reef situation.. minus the SPS. 

I do not add any additives to my tank... I basically replenish when I do my bi-monthly 10-12 Gallon water change. 

I feed a small amount of pellet food every other day and treat them to Marine Cuisine every now and again, when I remember. (Im afraid of Hair Algea and the pain it is to control. )

I really am going to a Bright vibrant look for the tank.. with the Coraline now starting to kick in, im getting all giddy inside.  

Here is the information on my Current tank

75 Gallon Display tank

DIY 20 Gallon Sump ( Love those 1$ per gallon sales at Petco)

Mag 7 return pump

Eshoppes overflow box

PSK100 Eshoppes insump Protien Skimmer

Jebao-25 Wave Maker ( settings = W1, S2)

Aqueon 1250 Circulation Pump x2 (turned on off when I recently added the Jebao)

Coralife 08607 Lunar Aqualight High Output T5 Quad Lamp Fixture, 48-Inch

Digitial Aquatics Reefkeeper Elite (that controls everything, but im sure I can get more function out of it.)

DIY ATO ( 5Gallon bucket from HomeDepot, with an aqua lifter and float switch)

Welcome to the club! We are located in Woodbridge/Montclair area. Feel free to hit us up. We have also been in the hobby for 1 year as of February. We have mostly lps and softies, but some easy sps. Look forward to meeting you!

Wayne - read up on photosynthetic gorgonians. You can get lots of movement, vertical growth, and they're easy! Incredible Corals had a bunch in stock lately...and they are good and close by, but not the only source in town. Cheers

Welcome, Wayne. Glad to have you here. We have at least one other father-son team here that share the hobby from their two different households. It's nice to be able to share this passion with each other. Has your dad considered joining us, too?

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition