Best Option for Apex

xabo

I have the Apex system with 1-EB8. I also run 3-400W Lumatek ballast and 2-160W Super Actinics. When running all on the EB8 with the Lumateks set to HQI, the EB8's internal breaker will trip. Will my best option be a expansion socket, 4-outlet or another EB8?

Are you trying to start all of the MH's at the same time?  Mine used to trip the DC8 breaker when I tried to turn more than one on at a time so I had to split the ballasts to allow me to turn each light on individually.

DC4 HD should work fine, i have a dc2 (since i only have 2 halides) on my tank...same issues with the dc8 when trying to start a dual ballast with my acIII.

(edited)

After the all of the lights have fired and have been running for awhile. By my math the EB8 is drawing 13.6 amps.

Edited by xabo

Did some re-wiring on the lights and all seems well as of now. Display shows amps @ 12.5-12.6.

Wow, that's a lot of amps! I never used Halides, but it seems that LED is a HUGE energy saver as my EB8 peaks at about 4 amps.

Wow, that's a lot of amps! I never used Halides, but it seems that LED is a HUGE energy saver as my EB8 peaks at about 4 amps.

lol... most of us are using absolutely nowhere near what the led's are "RATED" at and have them dimmed because it's more then enough. By the spec's my LED fixture is 288w, but I'm only using about 110w of light out of it for a 4' tank

On the other hand, you fire a 250w MH and you're using every bit of 250w, and lots of times more

not to keep getting off subject but don't be put off by the power savings of LED's over MH's, because in truth you can probably save more by swapping pumps.

My old light fixture was a 2x 150w MH and 4x 54w T5 bulbs, so that was 516watts an hour for 8 hours a day, 4,128 total

My new light I'll figure in at 125w, 8 hours, 1000w, so saving 3,128 watts per day

Pump wise I had a mag 7, was drawing 1.2 amps (144 watts) and running 24 hours a day, 3,456 watts

Just replaced it with a jebao dc3000, which is only drawing 24 watts using 576 a day, so 2880 saved.

So as you can see, I saved almost the same money by just buying a better return pump as I did swapping to LED's, and spent a fraction of the money on the pump. Only go LED's if you really want to and are a tech junkie, they can actually be a pita getting setup right, and if you don't mind changing the bulbs and your tank is liking it, I'd stay MH :)