Who sells the large Mysis?

lutz123

I picked up some Hikari Mysis the other day and it was tiny and didn't seem like as many whole shrimp.  I must have purchased the jumbo Hikari in the past, but I didn't think they were an inch (as advertised), more like a 1/2 inch - with visible eyes.  The ones I had before I could target feed individual Mysis and this new stuff just makes a big mess (well, it's much harder to feed the seahorses without making a mess).  Since I don't have the previous Hikari cube package, can anyone tell me if I'm guessing correctly, that I got jumbo before?  Is PE Mysis bigger?  I seem to remember a previous thread about that somewhere.  Thanks!

i have a few blocks of jehmco. if you want to try it out or see it before you buy, i can give you some free. cubes are awfully more convenient if you ask me. i usually end up making custom cubes from the jehmco anyway. i also have some of the PE flat packs if you want to try that. shoot me a PM if interested.

Edited by monkiboy

i have a few blocks of jehmco. if you want to try it out or see it before you buy, i can give you some free. cubes are awfully more convenient if you ask me. i usually end up making custom cubes from the jehmco anyway. i also have some of the PE flat packs if you want to try that. shoot me a PM if interested.

Don't meant to jack the thread, but how do you make your custom cubes? How big are the cubes that come in?

I appreciate the offer, but it would probably cost me more in gas to get it from you.  I will try the PE Mysis and see if I can find some jumbo Hikari Mysis packs for now.  I looked at the Jehmco - looks great.  I will keep that in mind if I can't find anything locally.

I've heard the PE Mysis has smaller ones mixed in, and I don't remember that being the case with my last cubes of Hikari.  This one, however, looks almost pulverized and the shrimp are tiny - less than a 1/4 inch max and I don't see any eyes.  I would need a tiny pipette and a lot of patience to target feed seahorses with those.  I want to defrost and see shrimp that are about a 1/2 inch, whole, and with eyes, with very few extra "parts".  I never had any cloudiness issues in the past.  Now I feel like I'm primarily feeding snails and brittle stars.

Don't meant to jack the thread, but how do you make your custom cubes? How big are the cubes that come in?

i'll text you.

the jehmco comes in bricks you have to break apart or rather more poignantly, chisel away at.

Thanks to Tom (origami) for the tip to use a brickset chisel to break it up. I break mine into ~1.5" chunks which is what I feed so it's actually quite convenient.

There is apparently a major shortage of frozen Cyclopeeze due to Argent but being able to harvest it for the past 2 years. I just got some of Jehmco's frozen copepods instead, and while they don't have the same pigments as Cyclopeeze, they seem to be equally nutritious and my fish eat them happily.