help with aquarium plants electronic regulator

goodreeef

This is my first time using a co2 reactor, and my regulator appears not to be working. When i plug it in to dc power i see the red light come on/off. I believe it is not geeting co2 out of regulator, becuase when i loosen the regulator i can hear co2 leaking.

when i put the air hose in a glass of water i see no bubbles.

Can someone help diagnose this issue?

I'm familiar with the unit.  What are you using it on?  Calcium reactor? CO2 reactor for planted tank?  I tried using those on a calcium reactor and blew 2 of them out.  I don't think they are designed to handle any sort of back pressure whatsoever.  Now the one I have running on my planted tank in the store sometimes needs to be "opened" to clear the line.  This is also true for a line with a true CO2 check valve.  Like I said, these units are great for precision, but bunk for pressure applications, I think primarily because they have a digital regulator and diaphragm, as opposed to a mechanical one like the blueline or miluakee.  HTH

Sean

I've had the electronic carbon doser running on my calcium reactor for about 9 months now. Is that the model you're referring to? Several others here are using it as well.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Is this the one you have?

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/08/24/electronic-co2-regulator-aquariumplantscom-kind/

Do you have pressure showing on both gauges?

yes thats the one.

I have pressure on both gauges.

I'm familiar with the unit.  What are you using it on?  Calcium reactor? CO2 reactor for planted tank?  I tried using those on a calcium reactor and blew 2 of them out.  I don't think they are designed to handle any sort of back pressure whatsoever.  Now the one I have running on my planted tank in the store sometimes needs to be "opened" to clear the line.  This is also true for a line with a true CO2 check valve.  Like I said, these units are great for precision, but bunk for pressure applications, I think primarily because they have a digital regulator and diaphragm, as opposed to a mechanical one like the blueline or miluakee.  HTH

Sean

which one are you using now? I just bought two of them,one for 300 gallon and one for 90 gallon system, so I hope I can get them to work long term.

Has anyone else got one to work long term?

Do you have a check valve installed and, if so, is it oriented correctly? Try turning the pressure up to 15 pounds on the second stage.

I have been using mine for about 7 months now with no problem.  I had to call them to get the instructions and the guy walked me through the setup.  I have not touched it since.  Call them they are very helpful.

I have been using mine for about 7 months now with no problem.  I had to call them to get the instructions and the guy walked me through the setup.  I have not touched it since.  Call them they are very helpful.

who did you call.  I got mine used?

Do you have a check valve installed and, if so, is it oriented correctly? Try turning the pressure up to 15 pounds on the second stage.

I have a check valve and i have tested it..it is installed correctly and it works.

Another quick question or two. Is the rate control know turned almost all the way counter clockwise? This increases bubbles per second and can be used to test the setup. What are the pressure readings on the two gauges?

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Another quick question or two. Is the rate control know turned almost all the way counter clockwise? This increases bubbles per second and can be used to test the setup. What are the pressure readings on the two gauges?

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Yes , I have the control turned to the most bubbles per second(all the way counter-clockwise). the pressure on one is 14 and the other one is high(I will have too look tonight

So the red light should be blinking probably fairly fast. You should also hear a solenoid clicking as it opens and closes to release a timed burst of gas. If you take the check valve off and plunge the end of the line into a glass of water, you should get a stream of bubbles. Does your setup get this far?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Ok , I called the dealer and they believe I have a rusted,stopped up unit. Thanks Monkiboy for their phone number as I did ot know where to find it.

Ok , I called the dealer and they believe I have a rusted,stopped up unit. Thanks Monkiboy for their phone number as I did ot know where to find it.

sure thing. i got it from their site's "contact us" link : http://www.aquariumplants.com/Articles.asp?ID=113

thanks for the update - was it not in use for quite some time by the previous owner before reselling it to you? good luck with it!

call aquariumplants, the company that sells the unit -  605-368-2600

visit their website and the product.  in the product line, at the bottom you will see the instructions.  If you cant still get it to work, call the telephone above.

Sorry to hear it. I assume then that you can't hear the solenoid snapping open and closed? If salt water backs up into any CO2 solenoid, it's normally a short path to failure.

Is the unit new or used?

WARRANTY:

This unit carries a full manufactures warranty for a period of three years from the date of purchase. As stated. Opening the cylinder valve while knob is open will destroy the guage and void the warranty. Also, certain exclusions exist, such as corrosion, and damages do to unnecessary abuse and poor maintenance. Any tampering or attempted disassembly will also void warranty. Warranty is only valid to the original purchaser and is not transferable. IMPORTANT: if water backs up in to the unit, it will void the warranty. Even though good quality check valves usually prevent backflow, don't trust them 100%. We recommend making a 10" loop in your co2 tubing and hanging it above the regualtor. If water backs up, you will see it in the "loop".

Warranteed items either repaired or replaced at our discretion.

they offered to fix it for $50.00 . I just need to mail it to them.

Given the cost of it, that's not a bad price to get it refurbished.