Bulkheads, is this right?

YHSublime

So I borrowed a 1 3/4 drillbit for my 1" bulkheads in the 20 gallon. My issue is, and I don't remember it being like this the only other time I've worked with bulkheads, is that the retaining nut slides right into the hole... perfectly. The rubber gasket is only slightly bigger than the hole I drilled, so it obviously makes a seal, just seams like either I have the wrong size bulkheads, or I'm being over cautious.

Thoughts, before I start attempting to plumb this bad boy?

If the outlet ring doesn't sit outside the exterior glass than either its the wrong bulk head nut or hole size

That's what I figured. The exterior ring slides perfectly into the drilled hole. I know the bulkheads are 1", I wonder if it's just the wrong size nut, came from QR when I was setting up the 150, bought extras just in case.

I don't know when I'm going to learn my lesson about measuring first. I just measured the drillbit I had borrowed, and I've drilled 2 perfect 60mm holes, not 45mm like I thought. Looks like I'm looking for 1.5" bulkheads, there's the problem.

Didn't I see Home Depot graced us with bulkheads recently?

best way to ensure you're drilling the right hole is to have the drill bit and the bulkhead on hand at same time and see if the bulkhead gets stuck in the end of the drill bit if you try to push it in.

best way to ensure you're drilling the right hole is to have the drill bit and the bulkhead on hand at same time and see if the bulkhead gets stuck in the end of the drill bit if you try to push it in.

Hindsight 20/20

1.5" bh got it done

Posted Image

Two 1.5" on a 20. Awesome! Seriously, though. Watch how much load the plumbing is putting on the glass. The plumbing for 1.5" schedule 40 is a lot heavier.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition