Oh great another BB question

GaryL

BB or DSB  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer DSB or BB

• DSB
    • BB

ok so i have had sand for years and heave been reading a lot on BB tanks. 

things i like: 

easier maintenance

high flow for sps

possibly clearer water

less nutrients getting back into the water column 

all of the above is very appealing to me

things i don't like about BB:

where do the critters go? micro fauna

some fish like to make homes in the sand bed

sand adds some sort of depth

i think starboard is kinda ugly in tanks (not that the corals dont look amazing though.) 

so what can i do with a bare bottom? GSP flooring? live rock rubble to cover the shiny glass? 

i'd like to add i'm thinking of a remote sand bed with a BB. 

Why does it have to be a DSB?  Why not got with 1-2 inches of sand on the bottom so your fish and critters will be happy?  I've kept SPS in all of my tanks and never had a problem with not being able to have enough flow.  You can always aim the powerheads toward the surface of the water to get your high flow and avoid a sandstorm.

Why does it have to be a DSB? Why not got with 1-2 inches of sand on the bottom so your fish and critters will be happy? I've kept SPS in all of my tanks and never had a problem with not being able to have enough flow. You can always aim the powerheads toward the surface of the water to get your high flow and avoid a sandstorm.

Good pint Steve. Did you vacuum your sand bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to Steve. I only run about 1.5 of sand, enough for my melanurus to be happy. I like the look of sand, but I don't like the look of a DSB. I didn't vote because I didn't see an in between :)

To me sand or no sand depends on two big factors, what I want to keep and what flow I plan to have. If it is an SPS tank with high flow I would go BB. If the flow isn't strong I would add sand. If you have fish that do best in sand then of course you should provide it. The SPS rubble will trap detritus so I wouldn't try that.

I have a 1.5 to a 2" sand bed and have SPS and run 2 MP40s at about 80%. I have a 4 ft 120 gallon tank and have plenty of flow and sand stays in its place for the most part. When you put fresh sand in you will get some movement but as time passes the sand will be harder to move. It also will settle in places with less flow due to rocks or whatever. I don't vacuum my sand personally but have a pretty good clean up crew that keeps it looking good. To each their own I don't think you will go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My spec v is bb..i just put in a zoa garden to hide glass bottom(or will once spreads) easy poop removal,etc...my pods,etc hide in and under my rocks...