Everybody ready for ice storm?

hawkfish01

I was going to do a chiller on my tank, but can't cool the phyto and rotifers down. They are not looking too happy.

Great idea on the fan! I thought about it but worried it wouldn't cool very much since it is pulling warm air, but definitely worth a go!

Lost only for a short time.

Thanks ISAAC!!!

Alls good in my hood! Knock on wood!

Sent from my trendnet

Posted Image

So who else is without power?

We lost power for 1 hour between 11:40 and 12:40. The estimate for repair was 3 hours, but NOVEC is good about restoring power quickly (or has been to date). However, with a 3-hour estimate, I plugged the generator into the house and got things going in a few areas, including the tank. Within a half hour, the power returned.  All is good once again.

thankfully we never lost it...or else I would lose it...and not because of the tank....XBOX 360 is my friend today with the kids home, power goes out and i will plug that into the generator before the tank at this point!!  :laugh:

sounds like you all are better off than us up north.  i am on the generator for a day and a half now.  we have a ton of downed tree limbs and branches.

Sorry Graham. If you'd like, I will be in the Baltimore area tomorrow and will relieve you of the excess corals that are burdening your life support. :)

Seriously, if you need anything....

I was going to do a chiller on my tank, but can't cool the phyto and rotifers down. They are not looking too happy.

Great idea on the fan! I thought about it but worried it wouldn't cool very much since it is pulling warm air, but definitely worth a go!

Ocalareefgirl, I don't know what type of container your phyto is in.  Nor do I know what type of room they are in.  But many people cool off their phyto with a cool mist of water.  Commercial hatcheries use tall vertical plastic bags for their phyto and keep a mister over each bag all day long to prevent overheating.

The only time misting doesn't work so well is when you are near 100% humidity, because at that point there won't be too much of the evaporative cooling effect.  But if you have your phyto over a tile floor or a floor that drains, perhaps the misting could work for you.

Another cooling method for small cultures is simply to put the phyto and rotifer containers within a larger tub of cool fresh water.  

Hope that helps without knowing much about your setup.