UN-hosting Clownfish?

LCDRDATA

Anyone have ideas on how to get clownfish to STOP hosting in a chosen location? Our pair of false percula clowns took up residence in our Aussie Duncan colony a few months back, and the Duncan clearly doesn't appreciate their presence. In the past, generally either the tentacles would be widely extended in the flow, the individual polyp mouths were generally visible, or both (see first two photos, below). Now, though, we almost never see either of these two conditions; the duncan spends almost all of its time relatively buttoned-up (see third photo below). 

Previously, we had clowns hosting in our large frogspawn, which didn't seem to phase it or them at all. In addition, our RBTA has been growing well and I think it could probably handle them at this point, if they'd ever deign to move on (bottom photo). Any suggestions on gently evicting them that won't hurt either them or the Duncan? Thanks.

gallery_2631918_1271_124551.jpg

gallery_2631918_1271_41112.jpg

gallery_2631918_1196_192113.jpg

gallery_2631918_1271_132991.jpg

Edited by LCDRDATA

We've thought about moving the duncan to a different location and seeing if that makes a difference. I suppose I could do an eggcrate containment barrier if moving isn't enough. The trick there would be to make sure they'd actually left the duncan. The smaller male, in particular, likes to move in close to the "stem" and hide between the "roots" of the individual polyps. I'm not sure what all else might bulldoze the barrier; I can think of a few denizens in our tank that are probably capable. Thanks. :bluefish:

My clowns started hosting in a spaghetti finger and I moved it to the other side of the tank. They left it alone after that.

After almost a year they are just now starting to play a bit in the nem, but I wouldn't say they are hosting it. I had to move a nepthia over on their side and they been back and forth between it and the nem. At least the nepthia doesnt mind unlike the spaghetti finger which would shrink up.

Well, I moved the duncan the day before yesterday and it took all of about an hour before they were back in it.  :sad: There is one other place in the tank there might be room for it, so I may slide it over there; I'm just not sure whether the coral will be happy with that location or not. As I said, they're free to move into the frogspawn, as it didn't seem to bother it before, if they're not interested in the 'nem. 

I'm kinda dealing with the same thing in a little different way. I have a Duncan colony with about 50 heads or more and I have a vert large black and white clown that just goes over to it and bites the polyps off and spits them out. Also keeping my Duncan 70% closed all the time. I can see I'm gonna have to pull this fish.

Wow! I have never heard of a clown fish biting/attacking a coral like that. Is it close to its anemone? Like it might feel like its protecting it?

My clowns host several anemones, but they also hosted a torch, and a frogspawn, before they figured out the anemones were the best. The female always sucks/bites the tentacles of whatever it's hosting. It's not uncommon.