Ich advise

jefftse

I have a 180g FOWLR.  It only has 3 fish.  ( 2 puffers and 1 Raccoon butterfly).  They are fine and I haven't added any new fish for a while.  

Last weekend, I added a yellow tang from a club member, 2 day later, the tang was covered in lch.  I immediately net him out and put them in my QT that is running coppersafe.  

My question is how am i going to fix this problem?  the 3 fish already in there are totally fine.    I have a lot of snails and LR..

i think the best way is to keep livestock healthy and stress free

they can combat minor ich outbreaks on their own that way

a major outbreak needs qt etc..keep the yellow tang in qt..copper i beleive

raise the overall tank temp to 80-81 in the DT..and monitor them ...since they have been in their established environment they may just be ok without any further needs to qt them.

i think i remember reading that for ich to die out of the system the tank needs to remain uninhabited but like 6months ... i have never gone this route tho...i find it unnecessary unless the situation is out of control

was the yellow tang being harassed by anything ?...you may have already had the ich thing in the water column and because the fish was stressed it targeted it

Others will tell you this, but all your fish have ich.  Not just the one who shows it.  They should all go into treatment.  The snails and live rock don't get ich, so they can stay for like 8 weeks while the others are in treatment.  Sorry.  It ain't easy.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1500214

Others will tell you this, but all your fish have ich.  Not just the one who shows it. 

Alan got it.

If you want to do something about it or not is up to you. I consider QT'ing a good practice, but there is no in between. If you do QT, you have to do it for everything. That means frags, water, cheato, ANYTHING that goes into your tank will have to go through QT. It is not easy, but it gets easier with practice. First, you have to understand it. I recommend reading this.

If you do go that route, careful with the puffers, depending on how you treat, I hear they don't take well to copper.

I think you'll be fine. I've heard of tangs getting ich almost immediately after adding into a new tank. After a few days it's reported all gone.

Something I like to do when im going to add a fish is to lower my salinity. I keep it that way for a month after my purchase then slowly bring it back up.

Good luck!

Honestly, I would do treatment on the tang but the stress of the move is probably what caused the outbreak... I wouldn't worry about QT with the puffers... If you do not see any form of ich on them just feed them and let them be healthy. I know you should let the DT tank go fowlr for a couple weeks but if the fish are producing a good enough slime and ich isn't presenting itself then just let them fight it off :-)

Nothing before what I say is wrong by any means, but puffers don't mix with copper QT well.you could do hypo for all the fish which is actually less stressful on the fish and another proven treatment for ich.

Edited by Mattiejay6

The best thing to do is to let the fish ride it out. It's like a cold in humans and if the fish is robust and healthy and your water quality is good, the fish will recover just fine on its' own.

Amazing how much mis-information about the treatment of ick still prevails around here.

Amazing how much mis-information about the treatment of ick still prevails around here.

I do agree I think it is a controversial subject with lots of opinions and facts and trial/error... I would not call it misinformation though as certain methods are proven to work. There is no exact science here and there is threads and articles out the ying yang... Still it's all a matter of personal experience and opinion... Just because you don't believe in treatment doesn't mean it's misinfo.

The best thing to do is to let the fish ride it out. It's like a cold in humans and if the fish is robust and healthy and your water quality is good, the fish will recover just fine on its' own.

+ 1 x infinity.

This link might help:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/41558-ichy-battle/?p=350779

Others will tell you this, but all your fish have ich.  Not just the one who shows it.  They should all go into treatment.  The snails and live rock don't get ich, so they can stay for like 8 weeks while the others are in treatment.  Sorry.  It ain't easy.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1500214

I agree with AlanM, odds are they now all have it. They might not show signs on the body, look for heavy breathing as it attacks gills first and some fish only carry there.

If you want to do something about it or not is up to you. I consider QT'ing a good practice, but there is no in between. If you do QT, you have to do it for everything. That means frags, water, cheato, ANYTHING that goes into your tank will have to go through QT. It is not easy, but it gets easier with practice. First, you have to understand it. I recommend reading this.

If you do go that route, careful with the puffers, depending on how you treat, I hear they don't take well to copper.

That's a good point about QT'ing everything if you want to be sure to never have ich, MV or something else. I do QT on all my fish but about six months ago I got some marco algae and just placed it into my tank. A week later a huge outbreak of MV hit and I was throwing several dead fish a day out until it was under control. I know it was the macro algae because I had nuked the whole system with copper weeks before and nothing new was added but the macro.

I've done copper on Puffers and they were fine. Just use Cupramine at 1/2 to 3/4 of the recommended dose.

The best thing to do is to let the fish ride it out. It's like a cold in humans and if the fish is robust and healthy and your water quality is good, the fish will recover just fine on its' own. Amazing how much mis-information about the treatment of ick still prevails around here.

I used to have that view of letting them ride it out but after a couple large outbreaks I now start treatment earlier. The problem with giving the advice of just "ride it out" is you don't know exactly what his fish has and if it is MV then in two or three days that fish, maybe the whole tank, could be dead. Many people have trouble telling the difference between the two which is bad because a treatment for ich can actually make MV ten times worse, talking about hypo.

Thanks everyone.  I know how to treat ich and I have been done it many times.  I also know ich usually gets on newly added/stressed fish.  I get all that.  

I'm saying that the 3 fish I have in the tank for a long time do not show any sign of ich but we can all agree that I have ich in there.   I haven't added any new fish for months (at least 5 months).  

My question was if I should do ANYTHING to the existing tank?  

I agree, either eradicate it by going fishless and treating fish in a medicated tank or roll the dice and take a chance. It's up to you and your comfort level and availble time, we can't answer that. Is the extra time or effort worth it to you or not? I spend a good bit of money on my fish so eradication makes better sense for me but the I feel lucky approach works for others.  

I do agree I think it is a controversial subject with lots of opinions and facts and trial/error... I would not call it misinformation though as certain methods are proven to work. There is no exact science here and there is threads and articles out the ying yang... Still it's all a matter of personal experience and opinion... Just because you don't believe in treatment doesn't mean it's misinfo.

I'm not saying the treatment is misinformation at all, I just don't see ick as being an issue 90% of the time and when/if it breaks out, the fish almost always recovers on its own.