Jawfish and snail order

Orion

So what does this little guy do when I get an order of snails?

Posted Image

Takes every cerith snail he can find and reinforces his den. Happy Jawfish.

So cute! I am looking for one more fish for my tank....might just have to be one of these!

Really do have the best personalities. I highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear, Jawfish and pistol shrimp are very similar. My shrimp takes snails, I think he thinks at first they are food or empty shells, and tries to build with them, but they always wander off!

I love Jawfishes too but I don't seem to be able to get one to survive. I have a 156 with a deep sand bed with LF sitting on the tank bottom so as not to cave in on borrowers like a jawfish.  Killed 2 over the last five years.  The last one even made a home before it too died after about 5 days.  All other fishes are fine.

Where do you guys get your Jaw fish from ?  Do you QT a Jawfish or is that too much stress on it ?

I got mine from Quantum a few months ago. I believe there is one on Diver's Den for sale right now. They have a very good QT process.

OK so I couldn't resist getting a Jawfish...

Just got it at Marine Scene

Looks like I am not destined to have a Jaw fish. That guy I got yesterday appears to have got in to a fight with someone over night.  It is now at the corner of the tank with what appears to be a pectoral  fin that has been bitten off. I am 90% positive that it was not in this condition when I got it at Marine scene.  I would have noticed it when I was acclimating it. 

Jaw Fin

The suspects would include my Maroon Clown -> the usual suspect, and maybe my pistol shrimp and goby  -> maybe the Jawfish ventured into their network of barrows.

Do you think it might still make it ?

My wife's going to all me a Jawfish murderer, again, when she wakes up.

Could be a large hitchhiker crab, mantis or another shrimp that eats them.

Put a glass Tupperware dish next to some rock work with some food in it. Climb in and can't get out.

What do you mean by "climb in and can't get out" ?

Could be a large hitchhiker crab, mantis or another shrimp that eats them.

Put a glass Tupperware dish next to some rock work with some food in it. Climb in and can't get out.

Does a pistol shrimp attack Jawfishes ?  I don't have crabs or Mantis, not that I know of.  Would they not have attacked my Shrimp Goby that is just slightly longer than the Jawfish ?

The shrimp goby or pistol could have attacked him...sometimes shrimp gobies love them, sometimes they hate them...

Give him some little stones or shells to put round his burrow to hide better and he may make it...he needs to feel hidden and comfortable enough to go to sleep....

That is so sad Mling. I popped in to Marine Scene yesterday and was watching that cutie for awhile but it would not be fair for me to get a jawfish knowing we are upgrading tanks.

I would try to add cover to its burrow or even if you have the option move him to another tank to heal.