135 Gallon Frag/Holding tank Cracked!!!!!!

DCReefer1964

Glad you seem to have recovered from your disaster.  Do you have any idea why happened in the first place ?  Spontaneous cracking of a huge tank like this is worrisome.

glad you were able to save everything.  How long was the tank filled before it cracked? 

July 2013. Tank is 22 yrs old.

Glad you seem to have recovered from your disaster.  Do you have any idea why happened in the first place ?  Spontaneous cracking of a huge tank like this is worrisome.

The tank was located near the back door of the garage here on base. I had complained about the constant drafts leaking in various places. I assume that a small chip in the lower corner took a cold shot from the weather outside. 80F vs 29F = bad combo. I will get some expandable foam and start sealing the draft areas. In addition I may go Acrylic for the next tank as a replacement.

The tank was located near the back door of the garage here on base. I had complained about the constant drafts leaking in various places. I assume that a small chip in the lower corner took a cold shot from the weather outside. 80F vs 29F = bad combo. I will get some expandable foam and start sealing the draft areas. In addition I may go Acrylic for the next tank as a replacement.

I assume your garage has a garage door so I don't think it would be below freezing, tonight being a possible exception.  Also, would not the heated tank water made a difference ? 

22 year old tank.  Oh my....

ok, forget what I a said about temps, looks like it died of natural causes -> old age !

I'm sorry this happened but glad you were able to deal with it quickly. Can you explain how glass aquariums die of old age? I get silicone aging, but glass? And chips are dangerous in aquariums, even small ones in seemingly safe areas. I can see how it would cause stress even by tiny areas of pressure.

I think people forget that glass also expands and contacts it appears rigid but is flexible. Take a look at a tank that has plastic top rim with braces. If the band breaks you can see the glass bow.

I think people forget that glass also expands and contacts it appears rigid but is flexible. Take a look at a tank that has plastic top rim with braces. If the band breaks you can see the glass bow.

Glass is also considered to be a liquid as well as it never truly stops "pouring" downwards and feeling the effects of gravity.

Ok guys I need your help. I could rush but trying to do this right!! 

Looking for some left over starboard from your bare bottom projects. In addition also looking for left over finishing plywood to skin a stand for a 48x24x24 Oceanic Tech  . I will be building the stand out of 2x4 and 2x6 to leave an opening in the center. In addition who has a pocket hole jig that I can borrow. I think I need to start a build thread. help me name this on guys.

All coral and Clams appear to be doing fine. Since I can only look down I cant get a full view of the SPS . Wish me luck.

dang DC that is a bummer, if you need a hand LMK

Thanks Bro building stand for 120 Tech as I type this reply. Bringing it inside.