Lighting suggestions

RW09903

Hello All,

Since I have slowly started collecting more SPS in my 120g(4x2x2), I believe it is time to upgrade from my 4 bulb T5. I was looking into several of the Evergrow systems. Any suggestions as to which direction i should go?

Thx

I was leaning toward two IT2060s since I have the center brace. How much energy would I save switching to LED light?

I was leaning toward two IT2060s since I have the center brace. How much energy would I save switching to LED light?

sounds ideal and pretty common for most standard 120 owners with evergrows.

in regards to energy/$ savings, i'll leave that up to the smart people on this board to take the average kW cost and figure out what you're spending now and what you might spend with the evergrows.

No doubt they will pay for the self. Do you run a chiller? Throw that away too if you run LED. I have a watt consumption meter I figured out what my tank costs me in energy per month. Pick one up at Harbor freight

Also they don't use the full 3watt per bulb to make the bulb last longer. Plus 95% of people don't run them at full blast. So they really don't take as much energy as they sound. I will get mine up in a few weeks if you want I'll let you know what amount of watts they actually run at.

i heard some people run at 50 to 60%. If that is the case then im in.

gmerek2: Did you purchase already?

Youre probably not going to save money on energy because youre going to be using nearly the same energy. Your T5's are 54W x4, so 216w. The IT2060's are 120w each at max (according to there desrciption) . So 240w for the pair, but can be dialed down. I dont think you should expect cost savings on energy, however, not replacing bulbs the following year should save you about $80-100.

So overall, going with LED will likely save on maintenance ie bulbs... and I should be better growth. I paid nearly $200 for the T5 + nearly $100 a year for the bulbs. Sounds like IT2060's is the best bet.

Save on bulbs, Yes. Better growth just because of LEDs, No.  T5's are great, and are as capable of growing corals as well as any other light. Your tanks chemistry and stablity are far more important than lights alone.

Save on bulbs, Yes. Better growth just because of LEDs, No.  T5's are great, and are as capable of growing corals as well as any other light. Your tanks chemistry and stablity are far more important than lights alone.

I agree with this statement. The Evergrows will save you some bucks down the road from switching out bulbs, but the concern shouldn't be switching to LED's because you are getting more SPS. As mentioned above, stability and chemistry are far more important (not that lighting isn't important.) I have evergrows above my 6' tank with a mix of SPS and LPS. You're welcome to check it out.

I agree with this statement. The Evergrows will save you some bucks down the road from switching out bulbs, but the concern shouldn't be switching to LED's because you are getting more SPS. As mentioned above, stability and chemistry are far more important (not that lighting isn't important.) I have evergrows above my 6' tank with a mix of SPS and LPS. You're welcome to check it out.

I might be able to stop by over winter break. Questions about reefing always run through my head and I am always interested to listen to everyone's opinions. I think I am leaning 2 IT2060's still. Might use the T5 on my planted discus tank.

I might be able to stop by over winter break. Questions about reefing always run through my head and I am always interested to listen to everyone's opinions. I think I am leaning 2 IT2060's still. Might use the T5 on my planted discus tank.

No problem, I love talking "shop." I stand behind the Evergrows 100%, but like Rob says "it's light, it grows things."

Hi Everyone,

One more question. I plan on hanging the lights about a foot to a foot and a half above my 120. Should I go with 90 or 120 optics? Worried 120 would be too wide.

• 3 weeks later...

Youre probably not going to save money on energy because youre going to be using nearly the same energy. Your T5's are 54W x4, so 216w. The IT2060's are 120w each at max (according to there desrciption) . So 240w for the pair, but can be dialed down. I dont think you should expect cost savings on energy, however, not replacing bulbs the following year should save you about $80-100.

Finally picked up my D120s. They are running 97 watts at 100%. They run less wattage than rated for to save the life of the led bulb. I don't know anyone that runs them at 100% so I tested them at 75% also and they are running at 72watts. 150watts vs 240 sounds pretty good!