High KH

seantadez

Not to confuse more but I took a Salifert syringe and measured 5 mL into the API test vials....and voila. The water amount did not match the test vial line. A quick search will yield this being a common issue. The line can be different from one test vial to another in the same test kit (like mine). API says this is within the margin of error of their tests. Just FYI.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are certainly on the right track though. Kudos to you for taking the time to get this sorted out. It will help you immensely in the future. 

Now how about a pic of your tank? 

Not to confuse more but I took a Salifert syringe and measured 5 mL into the API test vials....and voila. The water amount did not match the test vial line. A quick search will yield this being a common issue. The line can be different from one test vial to another in the same test kit (like mine). API says this is within the margin of error of their tests. Just FYI.

I've noticed the same. There's actually variation in the reagent, too. I once calibrated my API tests, noting how much sample was needed to get accurate results from a particular bottle of reagent. For example, one bottle of reagent requires that I had required 4.5 ml of sample while another needed 5 ml. These were calibrated against an alkalinity standard that I made and against my Hanna checker. But, as said, getting close but being consistent is more valuable than inconsistent but precise. In other words, I'd rather have consistent, but slightly varying readings (like 8 and 9 dKH) versus readings of 17.2 dKH followed by 13.7 dKH (more precise, but inconsistent readings).

So the API kits actually have that much variance? Yikes!

That's +/- 10%. That's actually not that bad. That's about a drop either way. But, for any given test kit, the repeatability seems to be there. It's just the lots on the reagents may vary some.

Looks like you have a bunch of LPS in there, I don't see anything hard.