Building Gurgly – Kallor’s 125ish gallon reef tank

Kallor

but that was all voice to text on the phone so not too shabby, i thought :happy:

I call BS on voice to text LOL...I can't say the "sun is bright today" and have it type it right let alone a 4000 word essay like you did ha ha ha ha

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just realized what a huge block of text that came through as. pardon the length, too but that was all voice to text on the phone so not too shabby, i thought :happy:

good luck with your plan and let us know how the coral fare as well - sounded like a great starter pack if i remember correctly. photos are always appreciated!

Marco you are such a show off !!! :) (Voice to TXT) great advice +1

just realized what a huge block of text that came through as. pardon the length, too but that was all voice to text on the phone so not too shabby, i thought :happy:

good luck with your plan and let us know how the coral fare as well - sounded like a great starter pack if i remember correctly. photos are always appreciated!

Voice to text??!! What! All while driving 70mph.

+1 on photos.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I call BS on voice to text LOL...I can't say the "sun is bright today" and have it type it right let alone a 4000 word essay like you did ha ha ha ha

Sounds like the time to upgrade that old phone. Ha ha :-)

I'm trying out the voice to text too right now by the way :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again everyone for all the info and help, and also just for tuning in! I'll have a better update in the near future, but for now, Sita the Pink Skunk Clownfish says hello. She has been much more outgoing since I found her husband (Ravan) in the overflow :laugh: As I told Isaac earlier, losing a fish for a few days in your overflow seems kinda like a rite of passage.

12979786685_c401aa22b4_b.jpg

Nice share, thanks!

Great talking to ya', and checking out the tank...

Guys... the build is even more amazing in person, I'm really eager to watch this come to life with frags all over, I'm having a tough time telling him to slow down! Not only the rockwork, but the craftsmanship of the tank, and the way he's organized underneath to all work for him with his space, this truly is a piece of art in the making! Almost makes me want a cube...

Nice share, thanks!

Guys... the build is even more amazing in person, I'm really eager to watch this come to life with frags all over, I'm having a tough time telling him to slow down! Not only the rockwork, but the craftsmanship of the tank, and the way he's organized underneath to all work for him with his space, this truly is a piece of art in the making! Almost makes me want a cube...

That's exactly how I felt after walking out of his house. Didn't see the setup underneath, but between the RC thread about the 130 build you posted and seeing this cube it definitely made me want one too.

Nice share, thanks!

That's exactly how I felt after walking out of his house. Didn't see the setup underneath, but between the RC thread about the 130 build you posted and seeing this cube it definitely made me want one too.

Thanks for the kind words guys! They are very much appreciated!  The positive feedback really helps keep one going through the challenges that crop up; e.g., the last three hours I spent getting one of the clownfish out of the overflow for the second time. I've now put up some netting in front of the overflow to keep out the fish as a temporary solution. I swear he learned since his first trip back in the overflow . . . he was much, much harder to catch this time.

Hahaha. Oh wow. I think the trick to catching clownfish is to do it at night under red light. You can scoop them right up before they even notice.

whats shaking with the nem?

Thanks for asking! The anemone appears to be doing pretty well. He opens up and extends his tentacles really nicely in the day time. I'm not sure if he has anchored himself or not, but he has been in the same spot in the back corner of the tank for the last 4 days, so it certainly is possible. He is kinda wedged between a rock and the glass, so he has rooting options should he decide to go that route. I think I have a good reason to feel optimistic about his longer term health - I'm going to keep monitoring him, but things are certainly looking positive!

The nem looked good when I was over there. It was opened up, just unfortunate location for viewing. It's not tucked into any rocks and it seemed 70% extended.

The nem looked good when I was over there. It was opened up, just unfortunate location for viewing. It's not tucked into any rocks and it seemed 70% extended.

It was great to have you come by and check him out - getting a valued second opinion on his health has made me feel much more relaxed :-)

Some Coral Updates

Here are some update photos of a sampling of my current corals - all 100% WAMAS in origin :biggrin:

Red Montiporra

13023242303_204321b27b_b.jpg

Green Encrusting SPS

13023243013_5f686e4e9c_b.jpg

Candy Cane LPS

13023467794_1c7386fa02_b.jpg

Issac's frogspawn is also doing very well, and his toadstool leather is going wild. Oddly enough, after seeming ok for a few days, the GSP seems a bit off sorts, but I hear they are a hearty sort so I assume he will recover.

(edited)

Oh, and one more ... this is after I decided I liked where I had originally placed the monti frag ... I only moved him and inch or so, but I did grab the rock he is attached to and put some more epoxy on it. He didn't take too kindly to this ...

A wild Monti appeared - Monti is angry! He used stinging tentacle attack!

13023348005_0823451bf0_b.jpg

Edited by Kallor

Hahaha. Oh wow. I think the trick to catching clownfish is to do it at night under red light. You can scoop them right up before they even notice.

Thanks for pointing that out - I actually did happen to grab him the previous time at night. If he wiggles over there again, I'm definitely going to wait until late night to try grabbing him!

Rofl there would be a Pokemon reference.

Yea it definitely makes it easier. They sleep like floating rocks. Well, at least the one I had to catch did.

Oh, a quick update on the ailing GSP: it got to the point yesterday where all the polyps were retracted, all day long. After doing a close examination, I noticed some slimy filmy substance covering the surface of the frag.

I think having my pumps on really low for the last week (combined with my tanks age) let some algae/bacterial growth take hold. So last night I turkey-basted all the filmy goop off of him, and today he looks 100% improved. Very satisfying indeed! :biggrin:  

This week I said goodbye to my purple 'nem. :-(

I was on the way out the door to Quantum Reefs, and I noticed he was nearly fully deflated. After reading around a bit, it appears 'nems do this from time to time, and it isn't something necessarily to worry about. However, I could see from his deflated posture that he still hadn't attached to anything, so I decided to take this new behavior as a sign and took him back home to Quantum Reefs. Hopefully he will find a happy home in somewhere else, and I'll start looking for another anemone in a few weeks/months .... likely a purple/green bubble tip.

My visit to Quantum Reefs was planned to pick up some more detrivores. It is actually kinda tricky to not overfeed my tiny clowns, and I also wanted to have some more sandbed activity, so I got a few conchs and some nassarius snails. I really love watching the conchs go to work.

13230109695_11a561a4a7_b.jpg

In addition to these snails, I had an order from Inland Aquatics arrive - some baby bristle worms, some more micro stars and more strombus snails. They all arrived in good health, and combined with my Quantum pickup means I have a pretty good start on a clean up crew. Good times!

13230259713_8b57212857_b.jpg

The new snails (and micro star) from Inland Aquatics really liked the vibes this nassarius was giving off. The poor guy kept falling over due to the extra weight. But I'm sure his shell is nice and clean now!

Coral Growth!

You can just see where Isaac's encrusting SPS has grown ... it has started to move from its 'home' rock and grow over the epoxy that I used to attach it to yet another rock. I know this is old hat to most of you folks, but it is pretty exciting to a new reefer such as me!

13232461305_ddd5dbd4be_b.jpg

Sorry to hear about the nem. IMO, a bta is better than a lta in every way shape and form, so I'm sure you'll love the next one :)

And I get ridiculously excited every time I see a coral grow another head or encrust something, so right there with ya! That's great!

your photos made me go over the whole tank and try to take some close up shots of all of my corals too haha. I don't think my lens is quite equipped to handle that kind of macro, but I did fairly decent. The only thing I'm failing at is getting it to take any kind of picture under all blue light. I've played with every setting I can think of and it's just not doing it.

Great pics! I like the snail on snail. Coral growth is good. I just spent the past hour doing a growth thread, and then lost it all, soooo no more of that.

You made the right decision with the nem if it wasn't doing well. You can always another one :) Thanks for the share!

Sorry to hear about the nem. IMO, a bta is better than a lta in every way shape and form, so I'm sure you'll love the next one :)

And I get ridiculously excited every time I see a coral grow another head or encrust something, so right there with ya! That's great!

Thanks! Yeah I'm already excited about picking another anemone out - there seems to be a lot more color variety for BTAs than I was aware of, so I think this will work out well for me in the long run :-)

your photos made me go over the whole tank and try to take some close up shots of all of my corals too haha. I don't think my lens is quite equipped to handle that kind of macro, but I did fairly decent. The only thing I'm failing at is getting it to take any kind of picture under all blue light. I've played with every setting I can think of and it's just not doing it.

Aquarium photography is tricky on so many levels, and I've still got a lot to learn myself. The more manual controls your camera gives you, the better chance you have at getting the right white balance. In my experience, cloudy/shade settings tend to be the closest "in camera" setting you can use - and also if you have a large external flash, relying on it for most of your exposure helps balance out the high K lighting. For almost all of my tank photos I've been setting the white balance when I post process. . . but of course you camera has to let you do that.  What are you using for your shots?

The one thing I would love to be able to nail is the cool florescence some corals give off ... that would be great. Always something more to learn, right?