My spec v sps build

hawkfish01

Ok..results from tests:

Nitrates:50ppm

Nitrites:2.0ppm(no change)

Ammonia:.25ppm

Why would ammonia go down and not trites too??and arent trates supposed to go up not down??

Waiting another week to test again... Have no chempure in yet....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With much thought ive decided to change the coral livestock that will reside in it...sps needs to stable environ than i can feasibly give..soooo ive decided to go with zoas(fav coral too) and acans and couple lps... Maybe some shrooms too... Heres some pics of some zoas i just got and a couple i have had..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The first two ive had:candy apples and an unknown 2nd set are new:from adam :ic mustard gas and ic amber ashes(live auction buys from incredible corals)

With much thought ive decided to change the coral livestock that will reside in it...sps needs to stable environ than i can feasibly give..soooo ive decided to go with zoas(fav coral too) and acans and couple lps... Maybe some shrooms too... Heres some pics of some zoas i just got and a couple i have had..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The first two ive had:candy apples and an unknown 2nd set are new:from adam :ic mustard gas and ic amber ashes(live auction buys from incredible corals)

selfishly, i'm sorry to see you're going another way and ditching the sps. i totally understand though, and i'm sure it will still be a great and fun tank to have

I'm planning to have a sump for my 5g to help with stability given I want sps like you did. maybe after xmas i'll have some news...so jealous you're up and running. looking forward to seeing all your zoas...nice scores from the live sale

I may still try 1-2 pcs of sps in this tank but it wont be a dominate tank like originally planned..because of stability needed by sps...Im hoping with the tests on sunday that the cycle will be done...but then im not rushing it. Ive always loved zoas and im coming up with all kinds of ideas for residents..maybe put a rock nem in( they dont walk nearly as much as bt...or maybe a mini maxi carpet...would b at the end of the island.. Not changing pumps from what i have in place...and acans are easy and colorful too..saw sooo many i would love to have at incredible corals yesterday..plus a beaut birdnest too...

I think my cycle is done..

Ammonia:0

Nitrites:0

Nitrates:25

Whats next.. Partial wc and cuc? Any cuc suggestions? Im thinking 1-2 astreas and 1-2 hermits...whatcha think?

Well,nitrites and ammonia still 0ppm and nitrates are now 5ppm... Bring on the cuc! 8) ive had my moms very naughty clownfish in there for 4-5 days now waiting to go back to incredible corals today...he thinks the yashia goby is a chew toy...NOT! I will post pics later today or on monday...8)

Well,picked up a nice green torch at incredible corals sunday...planning to put the zoas in soon... Along with some corals i will buy with the $ my brother gave me for xmas..8)Posted Image

Also picked upa scarlet hermit and a checkered nerite snail..i will prob pick up and astrea on friday or sunday...Posted Image

Thinking maybe acans and ????? Sps to follow in spring(2 pcs prob.)let tank mature and settle...8)

Couldnt resist...got a cute ora pink stylopora at marine scene AFTER asking advice on choice best for first time keeper...bali green slimer wasnt a suggestion..just had to pick what color: pink freen or purple...plan in moving zoas after cut on back of my hand heals....or wear very bulky aquarium glove..may pick up that birdnest at adams sunday if still has...will post a puck when settled..8)

Well heres the pink stylo:may have to move to flow correct for it..says mod./med.flow..seems that were i got it,well we will see...Posted Image

Are you going to use the stylo as a canary to see if your water is good?

Also, is that one of the cobalt heaters on the back wall? I keep being tempted to set up a spec v, but am scared about trying to keep params including temperature stable and dont want to buy another controller.

Water is tested every sunday so i know params r good...but sorta yeah..and yeah its a covalt heater...had in my 10 gallon bfore i broke it down..love it..easy to set read and use...have had NO trouble with this brand..unlike the eheim jager i had(piece o crap)

Moved one of my zoas carefully..amver ashes now in place..also boyght a nice zoa colony and acan frag at IC..floating now....water tests later today...i hate the pegs on these frag disks! Pain in the a**.....8(

Moved one of my zoas carefully..amver ashes now in place..also boyght a nice zoa colony and acan frag at IC..floating now....water tests later today...i hate the pegs on these frag disks! Pain in the a**.....8(

Snip them off with a bone shear.

I'm still undecided on how I'm going to do it for future corals/builds, but I've always thought it wise to remove the coral from the plug and place it on the rock. I'm sure this will change when I actually have to move things around, and I've not followed that advice myself. I like to think I'll plan far enough in advance on my next build that I will drill the rock for the plugs.

Reason i said moved carefully...cut(healing) on back of my right hand..and yeah,im right handed...Would the stony coral frag shears work?? I would think they would,if so,i will puck up a pair next time at IC..8)

Ive got pics of the two newest adds i got for spec v today: a nice small colony of zoas and a nice small group of acans....Posted ImagePosted Image

Moved my ic mustard gas zoas to spec v yesterday..so all critters in now..lets grow! I will be adding sloooowllyyy for now..still tweeking lights...d120 too strong right now... Had a 9 watt unit im using..all seems happy...8)

• 2 weeks later...

Added a white hermit to the already present scarlet..and i got a nice 2" green bubble coral from IC... Pics to follow... Tank going nicely,even though a small breakout of cyano,snails and hermits are handling..8)

Thinking im going to remove 95% of this sand(collecting alot of gunk..) leave under rocks and remove rest and glue bubble to disk(bottom is uneven..friday will be good day to do..makes for easier cleaning..8)

• 2 weeks later...

Ive grabbed some new frags since last post..a new sps(pocci) and at least 4 new zoa frags...fire and ice,tubbs blues,not sure of name(maroon w/yellow mouth)plus a zoa from petland that looks pinkish and whammin watermelons(not sure) pics as soon as opened up for day....